help a newb out - indash PSP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help a newb out - indash PSP

hey guys. i was refered to this forum after asking about a little project i'd like to do for my car. I've read many posts in the past couple of days hoping to learn as much as possible to avoid asking newbish questions. Didn;t work. Im still quite lost. Anywho...here's what i'd like to do. I want to take my PSP (playstation portable)
    and be able to mount it in something like this

:

So, what i was thinking was maybe fabricating my own "kit" that the psp will fit in. Possible create a mold, and fill it with some goopy hardening thing (im a newb and a half as you can see) What products (precise names) will i need to accomplish this, and exactly where can i find them? Im aiming to do the quickest/cheapest job possible.

Ok why on GOD's Good Earth would you want to do this? lol

Here is what I would do my friend. I would take apart the psp, and take the front cover of the psp and place it in your mounting bracket. Make sure you can still reach all the buttons on the bottom of the psp. Now keep in mind that by doing this, you most likely will lose your top right and left buttons unless you move them. Again that is another project as well to move them.

Anyhow once you have all your buttons open, like i said before hot glue from the back side of the psp and bracket. Once this is done get yourself some fiberglass from the local parts store and carefully fill in the front grooves.
    Do this until the psp front bezel starts to blend in with your mounting bezel. now you'll have to start to cut and sand some of the fiberglass away but keep adding fiberglass fill until it all looks smooth and as one.

Once you finish this, go and get some really nice looking black paint and give it about 4 coats, more if needed.

Then what you do is take your new psp front bezel and mount it back on to the psp body. This is how I mounted my 7 inch touchscreen for my car.

You can check out my pics on my profile, however not sure why they didn't upload in the correct order as I uploaded them.

Hope this helps you out! And if you don't mind, why do you want to do this anyways? I have a psp as well, but never thought to what you want to do. So I am just wondering?

Thanks Phil

Comment

so i can play fifa 08 as i drive of course!! just kidding. i'm planning on hooking it up to my stereo and use the mp3 player on it. I really like my stereo, but it doesnt play mp3s as its kind of old. so with the psp i can play mp3s, plus have some nice in dash eye candy as the music plays. if i get this whole fabrication thing down, i could make some sort of new mount in the future that will be GPS friendly. There's an adapter now for the psp that allows you to use i as a GPS. but for now...just want it for the mp3 playing. Anywho...i want the psp to be removable, so the way i was imagining it is turning the mounting kit into a mold, with some foam lining to hold the psp in place, yet let it still be removable. (so no removing psp bezel etc) its a very simple idea,but again, i'm 100% new to all this.
      here's a quick doodle of what im thinking.

Comment

Well by the looks of it, it seems that the single din kit is shorter than the PSP.

Comment

i would have to make the top and bottom slimmer..but the psp would fit without a doubt. i know as i have both in my posession.

Comment

Hey Try this out see if this might make your life a bit easier. I didn't think that you wanted to remove the psp once installed. LOL What was I thinking? lol

check this site out: http://www.jcwhitney.com/PSP-Accesso...5036_10101.jcw

I have this mounting bracket for my psp and I use it in the car and at work. It is really nice and doesn't cost and arm or leg to make. Plus the cool thing is you can take it anywhere you go! Let me know if this will help?

Thanks again Phil

Comment

yeah i've seen mounts for the psp. but i want that indash look. guess im going to have to experiment and wing it.

Comment

Well,

I has this mod already and took it out after a few months,

I used this [media]http://www.pspworld.com/images/playgear-4-1.jpg[/media].

Cut it in half and then tilted it a little so the PSP would not fall out.
                And then I installed Deniska's PSP map program.

Google it.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Comment

hmm u might think about just getting a little plastic mount that holds onto your air conditioner vent so u can have the psp in and then take it out when your done. thats exactly what i did in my old car. i bought a docking station for it then took it apart and boom custom cradle for your psp in your car!

Comment

I think step 1 is get one of those plastic covers for the PSP that snap in place. Then mold that into the dash. And the PSP will snap into that. Mess up and you are out 1 case rather than a PSP.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Quite a popular car in the uk

Comment

is that your car?
                        I would like to see some more pics of it.
                        Is the PSp stand a device I can buy, or custom?

Comment

Its not my car but you can find pics here:

http://teamboom.co.uk/

Its a custom job

Comment

and wholy illegal to drive.
                            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Poor civic...
                              1990 Honda crx Si: Still Carpc-less

Comment

Working...
                              X