6x9 Door Panel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6x9 Door Panel

I have a dodge ram and I am looking for some advice.

Do I cut out the 6x9 behind the screen and create a speaker pod

Or

Do I create a 6.5 speaker pod

If I go the 6.5 I would then put the 6x9's in the rear above the subs in a regular cab. The 6.5 are mids only while the 6x9's are 3 way.

Would it sound good this way ?

What I am working with:

2 AUDIOBAHN AW1051T 10" SUBWOOFER
    2 KICKER KS693 6" X 9" THREE-WAY SPEAKER SYSTEM
    2 AUDIOBAHN AMD60 6.5-INCH MID-RANGE SPEAKERS
    2 2 channel amps

6x9's arent known for their "quality" sound output....they are meant for rear fill to my knowledge. If you are looking for extra bass in the front, try http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=823
    its the Seas CA18RNX...amazing sound quality. and that $67 price is for one...not 2.
    it is a 7" speaker, so you will need to make an adapter for it, or cut out some metal from the inside of your door.

If you dont necessarily want to do that, you can always check the other speakers they have there and find a 6.5 or a 5.5 for the right price...

i do not recommend a 6x9 in your front door though...sorry.

Note: by " Would it sound good this way?" what is your definition of good?

Note 2: i already typed all that up, so im not going to delete it...but since you already have your 6.5's just put them up front and the 6x9s in the back...but just so you can have more power up front for the 6.5's (better sound with more power), i wouldnt put in the 6x9s at all...when you hear the difference, you will understand...
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

Ok, so ditch the 6x9's and get some good quality 6.5's and tweaters.

I listen to rock to I would like it to be clear and not have the bass drown out the voice or guitar.

The one thing I am having trouble with is since it is a regular cab the rear speakers need to be tweaked a little. I am not sure what to have back there. Mids, Highs...

I know without speakers back there is feels empty.

I have not built the enclosure yet but I plan on 2 10's and some how incorporate what ever other speakers whether it be 6x9's or 6.5.

Comment

I am in the planning stage

Right now I have a the 6x9's up front with some shaving of the door panel to make them fit. The 6.5's in the rear but the stock location is down low and with a sub enclosure it covers the 6.5's.

I had recently decided to unhook the 6.5 in the rear and it just feels dead. Plus the 6.5 complimented the 6x9's

Comment

there is nothing wrong with the speakers you have already in hand. my needs are probably a little different than yours. im what people call an audiophile...so if you plan on using a lot of MP3s, you dont need high quality speakers...no matter what equipment you have, it will still sound like crap (low end bass sounding muddy and distorted due to the compression of the original sound file, not the speakers)...

also, any speaker can play rock...you just need to equalize your sound output so that the bass doesnt drown out the rest. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...e-your-eq.html <<<< that will help you with the tuning...

I know without speakers back there is feels empty.
          its a regular cab truck which has a smaller volume than my 2 door civic...it wont feel empty....trust me...and if you dont believe me, ask anyone who has seen my system at the Florida meets...you dont notice that the rear fill isnt there, and you dont want your sound stage to be in the back anyways...you want it to sound like the band is playing directly in front of you or on your dash...i wish there was a way i could better explain that...

If 6.5's fit in the door natively, put those there...

if you need a recommendation for tweets..i can probably help point you in the right direction...

Comment

one thing i forgot to mention...

your 6x9's probably arent hitting you with sound the way they should...thats probably why they sound empty without the 6.5's....

if you angle your 6x9s more towards your head, you will notice a big difference (but i know you cant do that with them mounted in your door the way you say they are)...you wont need them with the subwoofers installed, and the 6.5's up front accompanied with some tweeters. you will have your highs from the tweeters, the midrange covered by the 6.5's and the big bass from the subs...as long as your midrange goes as low as your highest freq on your sub and as high as your lowerst freq on your tweet, you wont be missing any of your music...

i hope this is typed up in a way where it makes sense...cause my brain is running in a hundred directions right now...

Comment

Not so much that it feels empty but the only sound I hear is from the passenger side 6x9 the native speaker is a 6x9. With the mids in the rear it added that balance of stereo.

There might be room for speakers in the dash but there is just no way of putting them in there without making them look out of place. I am going for a clean stock look.

I would like a suggestion for a cross-over, in 2 rca out to 5 or 6 rca. I do not like the cross overs in the amps I have they are not customizable enough.

Comment

That is one of the problems that I am running into. I would like for the subs to just handle low bass.

But, there is too much of a gap between the 6x9's and the subs that I have to set the cross over too high for the sub to make up the difference so it makes the bass muddy. You cannot have a kickdrum and bass line going at the same time.

If that makes sence

Comment

I do not have to have the best I want cheap but good. I think in total I have about $200 in audio so far all from e-bay.

Comment

ok...im understanding the layout of your car a little more now...i can see why they wanted both...

you will have to do some chopping though for a tweeter...unless you get something like the Infinity Kappa 62.9's which have tweets that you can pivot. but even then you will not be able to install your subwoofer since it will block the speaker anyway.

do you have the speakers already, or are you just looking right now?

if you are just looking, what is your budget?

Comment

This is what I have so far...

2 AUDIOBAHN AW1051T 10" SUBWOOFER
                      2 KICKER KS693 6" X 9" THREE-WAY SPEAKER SYSTEM
                      2 ECLIPSE SE8365 6 1/2'' 3-WAY SPEAKERS
                      2 AUDIOBAHN AMD60 6.5-INCH MID-RANGE SPEAKERS
                      2 Unknown 5-channel Amps Rated at 4 Channels 350x4 1 channel @ 1300 I am sure it is peak

My budget is what ever it takes but I would say $300 for one speaker is too much

Comment

My deck is an Alpine CD with only 2 RCA out.

I also right now have a realtek 5-band graphic equalizer only because I needed 5 rca outputs and it offered me my solution.

currently I only have 1 sub and the 6x9's in the car just fo something to listen to. There is alot of work still to do on the truck. It is a build as you drive. So one project at a time. I also have another truck for parts so stuff like the door panels I can create while still driving my current truck.

Comment

ok...

so if you own those already...here is how i would set it up:

subs: beind the seat...lol...obviously
                          6x9's: get rid of
                          Eclipse 6.5's: door
                          Audiobahn 6.5's: make an enclosure above the subs so that the sub box doesnt block your soundwave...keep in mind that your 6.5's may need more air than you think...i dont know for sure, but you should find out before just trying to make something that you think should work.
                          Amps: run 1 amp to the 2 sets of 6.5's, and the other to the subs.

If modifying wasnt an issue and you didnt already have the speakers purchased, i would have done something like this (minus the amps):

Tweeter mounted in the door pillar and slightly off axis: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=541
                          Midrange: http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_162 (should be installed by a professional DLS certified installer if you dont know how these speakers work)
                          Woofer: mounted in the door with a 6x9 conversion kit (if they make one for 7"ers...if not make one yourself)
                          http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=823

Comment

Your thoughts...be kind. I know the numbers for amount of power are no where near accurate, but so far the amp has been working well. Hardly gets hot after an hour of hard playinig time. Kicks my sub and speaks well enough for me.

http://importbestbuys.com/

Better Information

http://qualitycaraudio.co.nz/

I have owned other amplifiers in the past Phoenix Gold, Pioneer old series, Alpine. Not hearing much difference.

I do find that the sub does not pound as much as it should. But I think it has to do with my set up at the moment.

Would box size make a difference in a sealed box. I think the box I am using is too small 0.7" with the volume of the sub it would be less than that.

Comment

I like the DLS line what about going for their package set.

Iridium 8.3i 3-way system

I do like the look of their grills it matches the look I am going for

Comment

Working...
                              X