Fabrication guidance (Pittsburgh)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication guidance (Pittsburgh)

I have a pic of what I am trying to accomplish but I am stuck at the moment. It seems like everyone's dashboard was designed to have some cools stuff attached to it but mine. For one, there isnt much behind my HVAC for me to attach to put the screen. I was thinking about using dynatron to build a bracket behind where the screen would go. but it would be in there and I would have to break it in order to switch out the screen if there were probs. I am thinking of just taping everything in and putting dynatron around it but that I fear I will get an ugly result. Please offer guidance. oh and I forgot to mention that the dash to part to the woodgrain part is one part and under it is another part. Everybody has a plastic part that they can detach take in there house and work out mine doesnt detach. The upper dash comes off but not the part that is important to me.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-bulltish.html
    more pictures
    Attached Files
    "You know what I mean? But at the end of the day, it is what it is." - The most articulate thing someone could say.

I think first you need to decide a plan.

My first question, looking at your car next to the schematic, is why a factory radio, an aftermarket radio, and a PC? I can only imagine the wiring implications caused from having 3 or 4 "head units" in your car.

If you want a PC spend your time on making that work. It will do everything any radio unit will, and that's just scratching the surface.

Personally I would have mounted the touchscreen in the DD area where the stock radio is, if there was room, the PC behind it. If you are worried about powering your speakers just get amp(s).
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

radio

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
      I think first you need to decide a plan.

My first question, looking at your car next to the schematic, is why a factory radio, an aftermarket radio, and a PC? I can only imagine the wiring implications caused from having 3 or 4 "head units" in your car.

If you want a PC spend your time on making that work. It will do everything any radio unit will, and that's just scratching the surface.

Personally I would have mounted the touchscreen in the DD area where the stock radio is, if there was room, the PC behind it. If you are worried about powering your speakers just get amp(s).
      I could relocate the factory radio to the the trunk and put the screen in the dual din region. But I wanted to mount it low. for safety reasons. I dont have anything in my car yet and last night someone tried to bust my window. so I dont want it to be noticible. I just need to figure out a way to build a bracket that will hold up my weirdly designed eby701 Lilliput.
      "You know what I mean? But at the end of the day, it is what it is." - The most articulate thing someone could say.

Comment

Why do you want the factory deck so bad? It does not look to be tied into the car at all. Maybe you want to retain the cassette player
        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

The common question that the other two replies contained would be mine as well. What do you need the factory stereo for?? Im not trying to jump on the band wagon with the same question, just trying to help. It seems to me that if you were to fab your LCD's frame into the stock DD location and mount the HVAC controls below (where you currently have your LCD) the problems at that point would be minimal if existant at all.

Regarding mounting your LCD "low" in an effort to minimize break in, all I can say is crooks have eyes that will travel the extra 10-12 inches and will be able to see the LCD whether its in your factory stereo location or below it.

Just my 2 cents, I've done a couple installs, not an expert by any stretch, but have ran into and solved my share of dilemas, so if I can help in any way, just let me know.

Best of luck!

Comment

You guys are right and I respect you guys opinion its just that I would feel a whole lot safer if I had my stuff mounted just a little lower. Also the Impala is weird car and in order to keep the special functions that the factory radio perfoms I have to relocate it at least. The area where the radio is now is definitely gonnna end up as a new glove compartment type area. I will be buying a harness that helps relocate to the trunk. I will be able to reset mileage , oil reminder and chimes and stuff like that. I wil buy a new head unit and a plastic single din box to mount it in and mold the hvac , radio and hopefully tilted(glare adjusted) screen in all together with mounds of dynatron like plastic repair kit. Which I still need to find.. does that help ?

Comment

I know you want to keep the head unit. But I have a 2001 Impala; same set up, and I chose to loose the head unit after discovering that there is a cheap box that you can buy from walmart to control the door and key chimes. You can also control the oil life light by the igition key and the gas pedal. The only thing that I found I needed the head unit was to change the horn beeps on the lock/unlock.

Plus, if you put a xenarc 700tsv in the hole where the radio is, you would only have to do two things.
              1. Use a dremel to cut off the clip mount under the wood panel on the dash. The dash will still stay perfectly.
              2. Get a hold of the aftermarket radio mount kit and take the ears off the kit and glue then to the back sides of the screen.

You will be able to undo the screen quickly and plug the radio up quickly to change some settings if needed.

In the next week I am going to be digging back into my car to put a hd radio tuner in. So if you want some in depth pics let me know.

Comment

How is safer to have your screen positioned so you have to look down and away from the road to see it? I'd rather just peek over so I can keep the road in my periphery (this is why ppl put add on nav units on there windshield)

Comment

My lcd screen is in the radios stock position. The manufacturer put the radio there so I figured it would be ok. Plus, I the text is pretty easy to read and I use a remote control most of the time to change songs and everything. When I am looking at the radio I still see the road. When the car is off I don't have any problems with theft because they cannot see any thing. It looks like an oem install and therefore not propne to theft.

With the set up in my car you cannot see anything from the windows that look after market. But nothing is oem anymore.

I only have one problem left. Maybe someone can tell me how to watch a movie while staying in one lane of traffic? :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X