pre 96 ranger or explorer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre 96 ranger or explorer?

anyone done a lcd install in a pree 96 explorer or ranger I would like to get some pics to get some ideas

hasn't anyone done an install in either of these?

Comment

Originally posted by yonu View Post
      hasn't anyone done an install in either of these?
      Maybe no one has. How about providing a pic pf the area you have, and see what we can come up with?
      If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

there is one post i found however the images have been taken down I suppose due to the member being banned and the age of the posts

however here is a pic of the dash and my ideas

I will be using a 7in LCD

I need ideas on how to build the bevel to put here and such

Thanks,
        yonu
        Attached Files

Comment

First off, you need to know what size screen you're using and if it will fit in the area you want it too. It looks like you can easily fit a 7" there.
          03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

LOL i said it was 7in but i know it will fit at least from holdingt he screen housing to it
            need some ideas on recessing it as i have no idea whree to really begin

Comment

You did say 7", I just didn't notice. That's just the fatigue setting in. You want to recess it, or just install it in the dash? Recessing would involve a little more work, but it can be done. First, you'd need to start by pulling the dash trim out, as well as the vents and radio and see what you've got for space. It looks like the vents are part of the dash trim, so you'd have to snap those out. The rest is pretty much cutting a hole for the screen and gluing it to the dash trim. I would guess that both the dash and screen's bezel are made from ABS plastic, so I would suggest ABS cement. It'll give the best hold. Then from there, use sheets of ABS plastic to fill and large gaps that are left and glue them into place. If you do truly want it recessed, you'd have to make the recession out of even more ABS plastic.

The rest would be sanding and painting which are the steps that require the most attention to detail. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check out some more posts on this page. Many people show step by step pictures which are usually the best for inspiration.
              03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

It should be possible to put the HU in place of the ashtray. It will require a little work, but it can be done. Mounting depth is a minor problem, but its easy to overcome.

While the DVD Player is slightly smaller that DIN size, there is room on both sides.

Comment

I like the flip open cover on the headunit may have to give that a shot

here is a pic of where I am so far please ignore the crappy cutting work ont he dash trim as I got one fromt he local scrapyard that was broke so I could try some ideas before cutting my spotless panel

any advice on where to begin on the fabrication would be great

Thanks,
                  yonu

sorry for the piuc quality digital camera battery was dead and only had phone camera on hand
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is how I would start your project, first, cut a piece of ABS plastic to fit the area that you want to fill (your first picture shows the area you wanna fill). Then cut away just enough so that its out of the way (the ABS piece can lay flat) Low spots need to be built up so that the panel fits flat.

Only when the ABS fit is near perfect do we glue it in place, I use super glue and accelerator. Now we cut it out to fit the screen.

There are other ways I guess, but thats how I would go about a project like this. Also dont damage your dash, buy one at a wrecking yard, mod it.

Anyway thats my 10 cents worth

Comment

thanks guess I will order a sheet of ABS this week

Comment

well I picked up a sheet of plastic today not ABS but it should work so guess I will start on it this evening if I get a chance

Comment

ok here are some pic of my current progress I still have to fiberglass the backside before I cut the rest out for the bevel as it is just tacked in with super glue and backing soda but thought I would see if I was on the right track before I did

Thanks,
                          yonu

starting to cut the hole

here are the rest

Comment

Working...
                          X