Creating a thin computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a thin computer

The system will be built around a Commell LS-372 (3.5" SBC - 146 x 101 mm).
    The goal is to build this thing as thin as possible. It is going to look like a panel PC. The LCD will be on the front and the motherboard will be on the back facing away from the LCD.

Things that will limit the thickness:
    - height of the LCD / controller
    - height of the heatsink/fan

The LS-372 has an LVDS connector on it, so that means i have to buy an LVDS LCD right? That will include a controller board?
    What kind of LCD should i get if i'm trying to cram all of this into a tiny space.

Survey: how thin do you think something like this can be made?

thanks

nothing?

Comment

I'm running LVDS from an advantech PCM-9373 (also a 3.5" board) to a TTL panel via a PCM-3540R LVDS receiver, so no, you don't have to buy an LVDS panel.

If you want to cram it all into a small space then get a small lcd. Seems kinda obvious really.

Minimum thickness will be approximately the height of the board + heatsink/fan + the thickness of the LCD panel + a bit to stop it all shorting out. The backlight inverter + touch controller + whatever interface board you have for the lcd needs to go in there too, but depending on the panel dimensions it may fit alongside the motherboard.

And don't forget the power supply. I went custom, and squeezed it on top of the motherboard so it added no height.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

thanks for the info
        How big was your LCD controller board?
        What LCD should i get if i'm looking for a small controller board / inverter?
        I don't think the standard 7" touch screen car panels will work. Their boards are not going to fit. Maybe something in the 10" range and i do want widescreen.
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coldfission View Post
          What kind of LCD should i get if i'm trying to cram all of this into a tiny space.
          What LCD should i get if i'm looking for a small controller board / inverter?
          I don't think the standard 7" touch screen car panels will work. Their boards are not going to fit. Maybe something in the 10" range and i do want widescreen.
          I am confused. You want to cram all of this in a tiny space, but you want a 10" lcd? You won't cram a 10" lcd in a tiny space. I'm sure this is obvious.

How big was your LCD controller board?
          My LVDS receiver is 72x62mm. You could have easily found this out from numerous websites that sell it, eg: http://www.ucs.co.uk/index.php?pid=1468

Here is a picture of the back of my 8.4" 4:3 screen. The top board is the backlight inverter, the middle board is the touch panel controller, the bottom board is the LVDS receiver.

Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Hello,
            Although Rob has given you good advice, consider the following:

The Commell LS-372 has an onboard LVDS controller, so to simplify the setup somewhat, the better option will be to buy a LCD with direct LVDS interface port, simply connect the port on the LS-372 to the LVDS port on the LCD - altenatively, you can go Rob's suggested route, or, use the analog RGB std 15-pin VGA port and use a custom controller board to drive the LCD.

See Thermoptic's thread here for some detailed info on the LVDS/LCD-type/inverters etc required to at least choose a decent transflective display.

I have the same LCD he used, the NEC NL8060BC21-03, and then the LS-372 Commell you have, and some LVDS cables, backlight inverter - all parts listed in the thread.

Should give you some direction.

Wrt maximum thickness of your setup - you could always remove the tall passive-cooled NB heatsink on the board, and replace it with a low-profile active part - would give you an additional 1.5cm or so.

Realistically, you then should be able to fit the board in a single external 3.5" harddrive caddy.

Have fun.

MrBean
            F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

My case sits at a bit over 40mm high. I reckon that if the board was mounted so that the heatsink could somehow be integrated into the chassis instead of heating up the inside of the case, you could probably get an LCD in there with maybe another 5mm.

Comment

Working...
              X