Need Some Help!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help!!!!!

whats up everyone..I need some help with this project i started a little over a week ago for my 12"Kicker L7 and Zapco C2K6.0x amp...When i figured out what i was gonna do and started to build it i decided to go with wraping the project in carpet that matches what was already in the hatch...but now im at a stand still, ive completed it and put it together but i changed my mind on wrapping it with carpet...im thinking to either go with some type of hard surface like a laminate or just fiberglass the whole thing.... Any one have any suggestions or ideas for me here? i have no idea what to do lol....but i wanna get it done and over with. I still have to add the plexiglass over the amp, add the cap and other amp for my highs(will sit next to the zapco). the whole thing is semi modular so i can take it apart in the event that i have to access my spare or what not. I do need some help here guys and any help i can get would be very helpful and very well appricated!!! thanks alot everyone!

HERE SOME PICS from what ive done already:

Take the speaker out, put some filler on top of screw heads. Sand it, take it to car painter shop and ask him to spray it in the sam color of carpet. Reassemble and peace.
    Slovenia, Europe
    best on-line radio

Comment

If you want to keep it so you can disassemble and remove it, how about covering it with carpeting attached with Velcro tape? You can buy rolls of Velcro at hardware stores. You'll only need the Velcro on edges and interior corners. That gives you lots of flexibility, easy removal/replacement, and the ability to make changes when you want.
      If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

yah i was thinking about doing velcro around the edges to keep it removable but more i look around for ideas either vinyl or fiber glassing will look a lot better. Ive never fiber glassed before so i don't think i wanna try a big project like this as my first attempt lol. So i think i might try vinyl and if i don't like it then ill go with possibly fiber glassing the box and area around it.....any ideas on a good place to get good vinyl at for this type of application?

Comment

Joann Fabrics is a source that seems to have worked well for several of us. They also have several types of padding so you can choose the type and thickness you want to use. You might consider covering the removable panels separately so you can easily disassemble.

Where you have removable panels, you can use cupped washers under the screw heads to keep them from disappearing into the vinyl.

If you want to eliminate the appearance of fasteners, another option might be to use magnetic panel fasteners -- as are used on cabinet doors -- so the panels will stay in place, but can be easily removed. You can probably find them if you "magnetic latch" or "touch latch" to find different kinds that are available. Check on eBay, and look in hardware stores and home centers, too.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

Thanks for the info!!! ill go check out JoAnns Fabric to see what they have and finally figure out what route im gonna take to finish this project off. The magnetic latches are a great idea that im probly gonna do so i can keep them from moving...Thanks alot guys!

Comment

I suspect you'll want to give the MDF some covering where the it contacts the seatback, or it will wear the seat. As it is, there will be a little rubbing with the normal motion of the vehicle. But, as long as you have padding and vinyl on the housing there, it will be minimal. You might also put a good coating of leather/vinyl dressing on the surfaces along that interface so the material has a little lubrication to lessen the wear.

When it comes to upholstering, there's information that may help in figfry's Fabrication thread on building a console for a classic Mustang.

Comment

yah that looks good and pretty easy! thanks for the link....is there any other type of material i can wrap my box in? i was reading some weres about some one "heating up" some type of cover and wraping a box in it...not sure though, just trying to get all the idea i can befor i decide what im gonan do...

Comment

so i went by joanns today and checked out what they had and im not sire if i want to go with the vinyl thats padded....i been lookign around on the net and have came across somethign called "vinyl laminates" were you heat it up and mold it around....i just want a hard surface not one that is padded...any experiance with this stuff and any ideas about a good place to get it from? Thanks

Comment

I'm not familiar with vinyl laminates, so I used to look around. It sounds like an interesting process; it appears by what I read that its major use is in tarpaulins and such load covers, not permanent installations, but maybe I missed an application. Here's a Thomas Catalog link to some manufacturers, if that will help.

One thing that occurs to me: there are some very heavy commercial/industrial wallpapers that are used in offices and hospitals, and they're really tough. You might check out commercial-grade wallpaper suppliers; I bet they have a lot of colors and patterns available, and it would be an interesting innovation. It would be amazingly easy to install; you might even consider first applying a commercial underlayer to get a really smooth surface. You could probably start that search by looking around at Home Depot.

If you decide on the padded vinyl upholstery, outside corners are probably the most difficult area you'll see on your box. You may be able to simply do a separate flat end panel that you upholster and attach after the rest is complete. It would serve to cover the end where the corners meet. Simple flat magnets could hold it. It'll take a little ingenuity, a little engineering, and maybe a tour through some websites, but upholstery is pretty straight-ahead stuff. The websites have lots of tips to help you get consistent results. Practice on some scrap, and then go for it.

There's one other product you might consider. I'm going to be playing with it, and I mentioned it in my worklog: PlastiDip plastic dip for tool handles is a very heavy "paint" that provides a soft surface. It might be an interesting material for some experimentation. I've never used it on MDF, only on metal; you might check its specs. This page lists stores and some of the online retailers that carry it. I've bought it at Home Depot (although they don't list it online) and seen it in Harbor Freight and hardware stores; cornerhardware.com also has it online. I think this could get very expensive if you buy it in 12-ounce cans, but it's less expensive in larger quantities if you like the results of your experiments. I think you'd want to round all your edges and corners if you used PlastiDip, so it would take more prep work.

Comment

Working...
                    X