No announcement yet.

Can I used 3x expanding foam to take up cu. ft. in sub box?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I used 3x expanding foam to take up cu. ft. in sub box?

So I built a fiberglass sub box for my 350z to fit under the strut bar knowing it would be too big. But, now I gotta figure out a way to remove .4 cu. ft. I could obviously just fill the box up with wood blocks but I'm not trying to make a boat anchor. So instead I was thinking I could just put some triple expanding foam in there. Not sure if this will work to effectively decrease the volume of the box though? Need some help.
    Attached Files

I'm not an expert on these boxes, but I have worked with the foam. Although I can't provide a nice, clean "Yes" or "No" answer, a couple of things come to mind:
    • That expanding urethane foam is really hard to control, although it does stick to almost anything. It would probably be best to put in too little and add a second area after re-measuring.
    • Although the foam develops a skin, will the surface be enough to withstand the constant battering of the sound waves, or will it eventually degrade? If it would, maybe a layer of glass and resin would toughen it.
    • Did you allow for the volume of the speaker?
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at