No announcement yet.

Newbie: Whats this part called...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Newbie: Whats this part called...

    Hi, first time caller long time listener, so be gentle.

    I'm going to fabricate myself a spring loaded popup dashboard monitor (don't want to go into all the hastle of motorised screens - - I don't see popping the thing up as a problem - but I need help keeping it down.

    I figured I'd need to use some of those (magnetic?) push-pop thingies, the ones where you push them down to keep it in place, then push it again to release it? But I cant think what they are called? Any ideas? Or any better suggestions?

  • #2
    spring loaded latch? pop latch? something like that, haha...

    Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

    Project CarPc V2


    • #3
      Its a touch latch! Unfortunatly they seem to be a little too big for what I want.


      • #4
        Originally posted by flatproblem View Post
        Its a touch latch! Unfortunatly they seem to be a little too big for what I want.
        Sorry to get in on this after you'd already found your answer.

        There seem to be some pretty small ones out there. Maybe one like this will fit . . .
        If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

        2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at


        • #5
          I have seen some sort of small ones at HomeDepot in the cabinet/hardware aisles. I used them for a project in highschool and they worked well.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the Store