Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cut a USB rectangle in a dashboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to cut a USB rectangle in a dashboard

    I have a couple of these: http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-...e-a-cable.html




    And i want to fit them to (cut a long story short) a dashboard piece thats plastic and screw into it so the only thing visible is the female USB socket and the two attaching screws.

    If i invest in a dremmel router attachment will that cut the perfect rectangle?

    It's going to be on show so I don't want the rectangle holes to look gash. Any other options?

    I don't mind buying a different USB socket if it's going to be easier.

    Cheers

  • #2
    I made a metal plate for my dash that has 2 USB ports on it, using cables very much like in your picture, but taken from a PCI slot card faceplate.

    I used the PCI faceplate as a template and drew the rectangle holes, then used a dremel tool to make the openings. The first one I did looked like crap but I learned how to slow down and move more carefully. The second one came out pretty good, although not perfect, but good enough for me. I used a flat file to square out the corners since they were rounded from the dremel metal cutting bit.

    Good luck!
    Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MichaelPlace View Post

      I don't mind buying a different USB socket if it's going to be easier.
      I found these to be a lot more forgiving; you can make the hole undersized then file down untill the usb (female) end can wedge-in.

      http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-AAE2C.html
      Attached Files
      ****************************************
      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
      M2-ATX Power Supply
      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
      Windows XP SP3

      Comment


      • #4
        It almost always looks better when you work from the back side. Well, you can mess up more.

        Comment


        • #5
          You have to be VERY careful with the Dremel, or you can overrun your lines. It's best to practice in some scrap similar to the dash.

          Another approach that's less likely to produce a mistake (and the resulting expletives) is to simply drill two (or three) properly placed holes and file out the space between them. The drill diameter should be the the same as the width of the hole you want. Using a centerpunch on the dash to make dimples that mark the hole locations so the drill bit doesn't wander. You may have to hold a backer board in the area where you use the centerpunch.
          .
          If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

          2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html
          .

          Comment


          • #6
            Be very carefull with doing this with a dremmel... You need skills and steady hands...

            If you have not used a dremmel before... This is not the first thing to try it on... practice ALOT before you plan to do it on the actual panel.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MichaelPlace View Post
              I have a couple of these: http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-...e-a-cable.html




              And i want to fit them to (cut a long story short) a dashboard piece thats plastic and screw into it so the only thing visible is the female USB socket and the two attaching screws.

              If i invest in a dremmel router attachment will that cut the perfect rectangle?

              It's going to be on show so I don't want the rectangle holes to look gash. Any other options?

              I don't mind buying a different USB socket if it's going to be easier.

              Cheers
              OMFG, I'm glad I came across this post, I have been looking for something like this. My setup has 4 USB ports and 6 additional USB each for the independent systems. I have 6 extensions going to my center console but wasn't sure if they made the cable you pointed out. Now I can hide the 4-port hub also..... Thanx a bunch!
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

              1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

              Comment


              • #8
                For the record, HiJackZX1, there are much cheaper cables available at FrontX. Someone else posted the website a while back, and I ordered some USB extension cables from them for my dash. The look the exact same, are very good quality, and cheaper.
                2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                Blog

                Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by colin View Post
                  For the record, HiJackZX1, there are much cheaper cables available at FrontX. Someone else posted the website a while back, and I ordered some USB extension cables from them for my dash. The look the exact same, are very good quality, and cheaper.
                  Yea I saw that. FrontX has theirs for 7.00 a piece. What I needed was the name of this cable, which I didnt know till I found this post.
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                  1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X