Protect my computer against a collision? Impact - car crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect my computer against a collision? Impact - car crash

Well guys i am searching a material that could satisfy my needs for what i am doing with my carpc now...will build a plexiglass (acrylic one) case to put my motherboard in there.....just put the pc on my car and then i need to have some kind of material that would protect my pc case against a possible car accident!

I am not worried about my computer!
    I am worried about my car and pc electricity!!
    So to avoid a broken pc touching my car (i mean electrical problems from that crash....) and having any kind of fire, i plan to build a case and put surrounding that case some kind of foam (??) to protect against collision! I guess an impact absorption material that would protect the case/pc from getting smashed....

Have you got any idead of any kind of material that could satisfy these need?

Where do you plan on putting the PC? If you mount it in an area where it wouldn't get damaged unless you're in a major collision, then you don't have to worry about making some kind of foam.

If everything is fused properly, wouldn't that prevent the electrical shorts from causing fires?

Comment

Originally posted by csfile View Post
      Where do you plan on putting the PC? If you mount it in an area where it wouldn't get damaged unless you're in a major collision, then you don't have to worry about making some kind of foam.

If everything is fused properly, wouldn't that prevent the electrical shorts from causing fires?
      If you get in an accident, chances are your wires will be trashed, your PC will snap in two, and your fuses will protect from fires. Make sure you fuse it right like csfile said and you'll be fine.
      2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
      Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
      Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
      The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

No worries if you fuse it properly. Any electrical short will blow the fuse and cut the power.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I have 'crash' tested three installs... the PC was fine, much better than I did. Two of those totaled the truck... both with bent frames....

Worry about yourself, think no more on protecting the PC or the car from the PC. No need.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

i agree.. worrying about a computer at times when your life would be in danger sounds pretty ridiculous. just take some pictures of your install and send them to your insurance company if anything happens...

Comment

Fuses... very SRS business.

But seriously, If the impact is anywhere close to the PC, it's gonna be trashed no matter how much tempur-pedic you cushion it with. Just fuse everything properly like mentioned before and you won't have any electrical fire issues.

Comment

Ok guys!

I guess you didnt notice: i dont care about my pc...just care about myself of course....but that also depends on my car too..cause if there is a fire on my car...i may also be injured...

I have my pc on the rear, near the tailights...this is a wagon so i put in here

will go in here where is the multi cd player...so i guess in case of a rear colision or lateral one could have some problems or not...i just wanna prevent the pc parts from touching the frame....i guess its my major concern with electricity...so i would like to surround my case with some kind of impact absorption material if its worth the money and the effort of course.

in fact i also have all protected with fuses like the ones you can see in here:

Maybe i am overoverover worried with this but i like to prevent and dont take it easy on this....
                PC is protected by a 30 A fuse...the green one!!!

Is this too much...my PSU can go 250 W on consumption....
                Thanks!!

Comment

Nice an tidy on the wiring. I think you will be fine with the fused power.

In the unlikely event of a wreck that results in a short the fuse should do it's part.

Additionally, it is not like shorting the battery terminals, various parts of the PC will fail before the risk of shock and fire. This is also true of desk top installs.

Cheers
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I think your worries are pretty unfounded.. Your PC is running off of 12volts and pretty low amps... 30a fuse? My cig lighter runs on that and I don't worry myself about that! Plus the majority of materials I can see in your photos wouldn't catch fire in any event other than being soaked in petrol! And your tank is UNDER the car, so that's pretty unlikely too!

Seriously, nothings gonna happen lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 528i_tourer View Post
                      Maybe i am overoverover worried with this but i like to prevent and dont take it easy on this....
                      PC is protected by a 30 A fuse...the green one!!!

Is this too much...my PSU can go 250 W on consumption....
                      Thanks!!
                      Yes, you are overworried, yes the fuse is too big. Take a multimeter and check the amp draw on the computer during 100% cpu usage and maximum devices you will used connected. Find a fuse for either exactly or slightly more than that number. That way you're 100% sure that if something flukey is happening, the fuse blows. This is good for not just crashes but other things like faulty devices and whatnot.

Originally posted by TheGuv View Post
                      30a fuse? My cig lighter runs on that and I don't worry myself about that!
                      30 amp fuse for cig lighter? Unless you've changed something the cig lighter circuit is designed for up to 10 amps. I've drawn 40 out of mine with a 40 amp fuse and DID actually have an electrical fire. Theres a reason why the car has the fuses it already has. Obviously, if you've rewired it and done your own thing it should be fine.
                      My Nearly Complete Car:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                      http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                      http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Very important. Make sure you select the proper wire gauge to handle the amperage that you are fusing. If the wire burns up before the fuse is broken... For example, 30A fuse on 20 gauge wire is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulF View Post
                          30 amp fuse for cig lighter? Unless you've changed something the cig lighter circuit is designed for up to 10 amps. I've drawn 40 out of mine with a 40 amp fuse and DID actually have an electrical fire. Theres a reason why the car has the fuses it already has. Obviously, if you've rewired it and done your own thing it should be fine.
                          Came out of Ford like it... Got a socket in the dash, one in the glovebox and one in the boot... If what you're suggesting is right then for my car to have a 30a fuse is justified by the 3 sockets.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGuv View Post
                            Came out of Ford like it... Got a socket in the dash, one in the glovebox and one in the boot... If what you're suggesting is right then for my car to have a 30a fuse is justified by the 3 sockets.
                            That's weird but nice. On most cars they'll give a 10 amp fuse for all the sockets combined, which is highly annoying because each socket can actually handle 10 amps, but they just don't wire it correctly.
                            My Nearly Complete Car:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

just another vote for over worried about nothing so long as you are properly fused... I have tons of equipment in my truck that run at over 60 amps but everything is fused and wiring is larger than necessary. You have far more chance of the battery shorting out with the sheet metal and catching fire than the PC. If you are running 120v such as me with an inverter the moment that it shorted out the Inverter would either go into overload or blow its fuse again nothing to worry about.
                              Custom Built Intel D510MO, 2GB RAM, M4-ATX, Elios 15" TS on custom mount.
                              System installed into 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel 4x4.

I can provide Custom fabrication for mounts or installation please contact me. CNC Machining and Powder Coating

Comment

Working...
                              X