Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acrylic case and should i have any electrical concerns ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic case and should i have any electrical concerns ?

When building an acrylic case, since i plan to put my pc in there, i mean mobo and hard drive and who knows also my PSU (M4 250 W one...) inside....should i have any electrical concerns or its just ok?

Lack of shielding might cause interference with radio reception.

Comment

...and acrylic, being a synthetic material, holds static electricity, which maybe cause issues with low-level power transmission, i.e. line level audio.

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
        ...and acrylic, being a synthetic material, holds static electricity, which maybe cause issues with low-level power transmission, i.e. line level audio.
        like what ? Dont understand what can these cause ? I have an amplifier which isnt near these case....

Comment

Originally posted by 528i_tourer View Post
          like what ? Dont understand what can these cause ? I have an amplifier which isnt near these case....
          Like speaker wire, RCA's, etc....
          Probably nothing detrimental that your going to hear, but there nonetheless....

Comment

Computers have been placed in acrylic cases for a long time, it really isn't anything to worry about, just make sure you have stand offs and aren't putting the PCB directly to the acrylic.

Comment

Mine is mounted on stand offs in an acrylic half case behind my screen in my dash, no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by LancerAM View Post
                Computers have been placed in acrylic cases for a long time, it really isn't anything to worry about, just make sure you have stand offs and aren't putting the PCB directly to the acrylic.
                could you explain how this could help/hurt the motherboard? being that acrilic is nonconductive, i see no advantage to the standoffs, other than asthetics.
                My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

It is just a precaution, like using anti-static bands while working with computer equipment. As others stated acrylic can carry static electricity and cause a short. It won't happen 100% of the time but do you really want to be the 1/2 a percent that it does happen to? Standoffs are really cheap you can pick them up at Radioshack or a Fry's.

Comment

Working...
                  X