How to cut little rectangles out of PC case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut little rectangles out of PC case

Looking to add a few more usb port onto the side of my carpc case. it's a metal and seems quite tough. Would the Dremmel be the right tool? Looking to make decently clean cuts.
    Thanks!

A dremel and a steady hand.
    Go slowly and let the cutting wheel do the work.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The little metal wheel is what i'm looking for right?

Comment

If you mean the metal-cutting wheel that is impregnated with fiberglass strands (I believe that's what they are!), then yes.
        You can use the regular cutting wheels, too, but they will wear out faster.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Regular cutting wheels can also shatter so its probably better to go with a metal cutting wheel. The metal cut off wheels are either diamond (the good ones) or fiberglass and should be alot more durable.
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Even with a dremel with cutting wheel, you will want to have a nice file set on hand. Cut the rectangle just a tad small and then file it to perfection.
            My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Personally I would use a drill bit the diameter of the width to drill out most of the slot and then use the files.

Maybe use the cutting tool mentioned above if you have left a lot of metal between the holes made by the drill.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                If you mean the metal-cutting wheel that is impregnated with fiberglass strands (I believe that's what they are!), then yes.
                You can use the regular cutting wheels, too, but they will wear out faster.
                Found them, mine is a little bit too big for a small hole.

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                Regular cutting wheels can also shatter so its probably better to go with a metal cutting wheel. The metal cut off wheels are either diamond (the good ones) or fiberglass and should be alot more durable.
                yeah i have the fibraglass one.

Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
                Even with a dremel with cutting wheel, you will want to have a nice file set on hand. Cut the rectangle just a tad small and then file it to perfection.
                yeah i'll use the dremmel's grinding blocks to file it.

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                Personally I would use a drill bit the diameter of the width to drill out most of the slot and then use the files.

Maybe use the cutting tool mentioned above if you have left a lot of metal between the holes made by the drill.
                I think i'm going with this one, i have a drill bit just the right size. and i'll finish with the grinding blocks.

Comment

I bought one of these yesterday from Harbor Freight Tools. It says use a 3/8 inch pilot hole which is a little too big for USB so I used 1/4 inch and squared it off with some needle files and then used the tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97636

I cut some perfect rectangles in light sheet metal. Should work great for plastic too if it isn't too thick.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X