USB install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB install

Looking to install a usb extension into the cup holder section of the center console...what is the proper way to cut a hole and install a female USB plug.

Thanks

i like to start the hole with a one size smaller drill bit, and then make the hole square with a jigsaw blade. it is slow, but is more precise.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      i like to start the hole with a one size smaller drill bit, and then make the hole square with a jigsaw blade. it is slow, but is more precise.
      thank you...

because i haven't tried this yet...do i need to make a bracket for it (USB extension cable) or will it stay in on its own...im getting mixed information on this.

Thanks again!

Comment

it depends on what type of usb ports your using. I bought a cheap usb wall plate from china off ebay. I popped the ports out of the place and cut the same size holes in the dash. The ports were held in with snap rings and then soldered the cable to the corresponding pins on the ports and it works great

Comment

i use the usb ports off the front of old computer towers--there are literally a million different designs for holding the ports to the front-- i have ones that the port gets screwed to the front mounting plate, ones that the pc board for the ports gets screwed down, and ones that snap in. if you could post a pic of the ones your working with we might be able to help you a little more with how it should be mounted.

also, you said that you wanted to put it in a cup holder-- make sure that there is no easy way for liquids to get spilled, and fall into the port.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            Needle files work great for finishing up the hole. I have a square file with two opposing surfaces ground smooth and flat that gets more use that any of my files and rasps. It works perfect in those corners.
            2003 Chevy S10
            Truckputer Progress:
            Planning.......[----------X] 100%
            Parts...........[---------X-] 99%
            Fabrication...[---------X-] 99%
            Upgrades.....[X----------] 1%

Comment

Working...
            X