Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you move a deck to the cubby hole?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you move a deck to the cubby hole?

Don't mind the stock double din in the picture. I have a single din unit in my car and would like to move the head unit to the cubby hole above to give me a double din space for a carputer screen (7" Lilliput). I removed the dash and found out a few things:

1) The cubby hole can be removed and you will be left with a 7" wide and 1.5" din high opening.

2) The flip up panel of the cubby hole can be removed but the cubby hole slot is too small to fit the single din head unit in (wishful thinking)

After removing the cubby hole, i'll be left with an opening that can fit my head unit. My problem is, how do I mount it in there? There are no supporting bits in the dash I can use to mount my head unit. Its just a flat dash opening and nothing behind it. For reference, the cubby hole is mounted to the dash by screws. Tabs on side of the cubby hole allow screws to screw toward the back of the dash to hold it in place.

Ideas would be appreciated...or pics if someone has done something like this
    2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...uter-side.html

more pics would help

2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

Comment

If you're not going to use the mounting points currently being used by the single din unit, you can build a steel support (bar or panel) attached on these old mounting points going all the way up to the new position.

Something a bit like this, only it's upside down on the picture (ignore the front and middle parts, of course). It would go from the existing mounting points all the way to the top where you need it. If you use bars, you may need to brace them, if panels, maybe not.

Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

to add to what ripplinghurst said, most aftermarket radios have a threaded hole on the back in the middle just for this. most radios also include a metal strap with them that is thin enough to bend to the correct angles.

if you can't find it, try to find a generous car audio shop to give you one or 2(or check their dumpster )-- they usually don't use them, so they should be easy to get...

just get creative with teh strap, and use either small screws, or epoxy to attach it to the bezel, and it should turn out great.

just post pics when your done!
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Great idea, thanks guys

2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

works great too. holds reall strong. bybyte doubledin ordered for the doubledin opening now.
              2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

Comment

it looks like it was supposed to go there. nice work!

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by volvoman1 View Post
                  works great too. holds reall strong. bybyte doubledin ordered for the doubledin opening now.
                  Great work! I'm not familiar with the bybyte unit, but it looks like your deck angles downward and may limit the amount of depth it might take up. You may want to take some measurments or re-angle the deck a little bit. If you're into more serious fabrication, I would remove the deck's trim ring, flush mount the deck with the dash, and make a custom trim ring to fill in the space.

Comment

But he said it's just for a screen, so I guess it's more than enough?

Comment

Yeah, if it's just for a screen it's fine, but in his last post he mentions that it's a Bybyte double din. After a quick look at the Bybyte site, looks like they make double din frames for screens as well as an all-in-one double din unit (similar to blk02si's unit). That's what I though t he was he meant, I'm probably wrong.

Comment

hummm, didn't notice the bybyte reference. I'll take a look, never heard about them.

Comment

Its this guy right here

I like it because there will be no fabrication needed. This will fit nicely in the doubledin opening I now have since moving my deck to the cubby hole.

Also, the angle of the screen should be fine. My dash slopes upward so if anything, it'll face up, perfect for my line of sight to the screen.
                          2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

Comment

i use a 629gl with a bybyte kit myself and it works great. the biggest complaint that i have is that it is so adjustable with the 2 bolts on both sides, it makes it hard to line up..

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

This was the result of moving the deck. Thanks everyone

2007 Nissan Versa

CarPC Build:

Comment

Working...
                              X