No announcement yet.

My recent work log

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recent work log

Here's some stuff I've been working on as of late.

My neighbor had this awful crummy plastic bezel the he was using for some gauges. I made a new surface to house the gauges:

I drilled holes through the mdf and plastic. Used quick set epoxy in a couple of ares just to hold it in place then CA glue for the rest.

First layer of evercoat.

A little sanding later.

More gauges: right above the center console in the no longer used vent

Had to cut out the center division between vents and secure a new surface for the gauges

After some evercoat glaze and sanding the edges to get a nice bezel/curved corners

Here's a shot of an extra identical vent an the new "gauge plate"

Here's a shot of the two together

Here's my cluster screen bezel. There were a bunch of versions and finishes. Initially I planned on this being an insert bezel so that I could go back to stock if I ever want to...

I had masked the area and used epoxy putty to build the area around the hacked lilliput bezel [sanded with 40 grit first]

Almost done

Finish 1

Way too flashy for me...

Sanded it down and started trying a dupont flat black... I'm liking this better

I finished this but decided to just go for a one-piece and go for more OEM look

These edges were perfectly match previously but being that i want to join these pieces, I sanded it down to make a bit of a gap that I will fill...

CA glue to bond the back

Almost there

I wound up using SEM trim paint. I covered the entire piece and baked it. Then I did a medium coat, allowed to tack, then followed with three dry shot coats from a far distance. This gives the paint a really nice texture. I'll have to get a closer shot for you guys to really see what I'm talking about.

Here's a piece under my cluster. A simple graft project... again I'm using epoxy putty, CA glue, and Evercoat glaze as a finish.

I have to clean up some goo from the tape on the edges but i'll do that later...

coming along nicely, what did you do with the power button for the screen?
          Crown Vic Project Blog forum

(with car PC)

I'm using the cigarette adapter for power. It turns on as soon as it gets signal from the computer. I'm installing everything on saturday. I hate taking the car apart for wiring...

Your work looks very good! Sweet! I'll be keeping track of this one :-)

Originally posted by djchicago View Post
                coming along nicely, what did you do with the power button for the screen?
                Now that I have everything installed I see what you mean. I thought the monitor would come on if given power and signal from the VGA... I was mistaken. I've tried that "factory menu code" 588998 to no avail. I tried it so many different ways... I'm done with it. I cut off the button portion of the lilliput and glue it to the back. I will relocate the buttons to where i put the usb's/audio. I may be deluding myself, but I actually like having the option of turning the monitor on/off with the button if I so choose.

Originally posted by Wirecase View Post
                Your work looks very good! Sweet! I'll be keeping track of this one :-)
                Thanks dude.

More work:

Fabricating a place for the Lilliput controller board and a center channel.

Now to wet sand paint,

nice work, where in ny are you located. im in nassau
                      01 Burb

Nassau County, Albany NY or Nassau, Long Beach? I'm in Throgs Neck.

long island, great work ya do.
                          01 Burb

Here's an update:
                            I'm doing another Civic 7" mold in... This time I'm going for a nice hard edge bezel

Maybe I'll get some paint on this soon...

Update to the new bezel: