Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker rings....

First post here....noob from Cali

I have done a lot of projects with carbon fiber and fiberglass, but I'm not too familiar with speakers and amps...

For the speaker rings, what are good dimensions? I'll be using 3/4 inch MDF.

What would be good measurements for a 10"? 12"?

ID and OD would be great, thanks!

Well your speakers will come with a template... for mine, the inner cut diameter was 11 1/8" for the 12" subs. Then theres 7/8" for the screws, then most people leave at least 1" on each side (2" added to the diameter) for a countersink type of feel.

That's what I did anyway.
    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Thanks!

I see all these guys building fiberglass boxes for their trunks...and I was wondering where the speaker rings get their strength from...Is it the fiberglass? It seems like the dowels supporting it wouldn't be strong enough for the sub thats going to be mounted in it.

Comment

Yeah, its the fiberglass. The dowels are only there to hold the rings in place while you fleece over them. Once a layer of resin goes down, the dowels can come out if you want them to since they're just taking up space. Then you fiberglass until it's strong enough to hold everything.

I'm in that process now actually! Ahh!
        2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
        Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
        Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
        The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Thanks Colin, that's what I was thinking

Comment

Working...
          X