Open to suggestions! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open to suggestions! :)

Ok, I've decided to find the time to complete my revised boot build.

So far I've done the floor with a spare tyre hatch, under the floor the wiring will live including the distro boxes with easy access to replace fuses or toggle the 'kill' switch.

I think I've found the spot to mount the PC (as photo'd), it was originally in a box with the amp that fitted against the rear seats however took up more usable boot space than I wanted (it's a saloon so I really don't want to loose any more space than needed!).

The amp I am relocating so it's bolted on to the underside of the steel parcel shelf (photo'd).

I do have a sub, but I don't think I'm going to bother with it anymore... I'm not really in to loud bass and I have a little passenger who sits in the back watching her movies with her IR headphones on- so the sub's off 99.9% of the time anyway!

I'm looking at making something out of ply (covering with factory carpet) to mount the PC on to (originally I had 4 metal brackets that were bolted on to the ply and clamped the acrylic case in to place (foam on the surfaces that came in to contact with the acrylic!). I would then have another sheet of ply to enclose the PC with an acrylic window to protect the PC from anything that maybe in the boot. Again, covered in factory carpet with the window showing off the PC!.

Open to suggestions before I start!

Possible CarPC location:

This location also shelters the CarPC from rain if I'm loading the boot when it's pouring it down (British weather!):

Parcel shelf where amp will be bolted:

Mockup of my revised screen install... Nearly there just prepping for paint!

Touchscreen headrest installs for passengers, both sides with a PC each mounted under the passenger seat... Am looking at reducing this down to one running something like VMWare or VirtualBox... The pic is just with my laptop plugged in for a photo op while the seats were out on my living room floor!

Btw, excuse the electrical tape holding the front on my acrylic case! I've just made a new front as the old one was scratched and haven't fitted the magnets that hold it on yet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGuv View Post
      Btw, excuse the electrical tape holding the front on my acrylic case! I've just made a new front as the old one was scratched and haven't fitted the magnets that hold it on yet lol.
      i didn't even notice it until you said it

it looks like a good plan so far!
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Agreed, its looking like a really good clean install.

+1 on locating the amp under the parcel shelf, I have a 99 model Mazda 323 with the amp mounted there, and even in the heat of an Aussie summer its fine, plus its completely out of the way, nice and neat!

Filling the side bulges of the boot (The area between the wheel arch and the back of the car where the boot swells out, aka where you have the computer) is a good idea, because if you want to down the track, you can even build a cover that fills that gap completely, makes it look like the wheel arch goes all the way to the back of the boot, and hide more stuff in there

As always, keep us up to date, looking forward to seeing this progress!

Comment

i remember why i originally posted now..

be careful with mounting the amp under the parcel shelf.

i have a couple of amps that strictly instruct to not mount it upside-down-- like what might be done for a parcel shelf.

the reasoning for this is because heat travels up, and when the amp is upside-down, it could force heat, or keep heat in certain components and cause premature failure.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            be careful with mounting the amp under the parcel shelf.

i have a couple of amps that strictly instruct to not mount it upside-down-- like what might be done for a parcel shelf.
            Good point, forgot to mention that....

When I mounted mine, I did it on long threaded rod, so that it was underneath the parcel shelf, but there was a 1 inch air gap, and the amp was mounted right way up still, almost like it was hanging underneath the parcel shelf.

Wish I still had it to get a picture of it, would explain it better!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
              Good point, forgot to mention that....

When I mounted mine, I did it on long threaded rod, so that it was underneath the parcel shelf, but there was a 1 inch air gap, and the amp was mounted right way up still, almost like it was hanging underneath the parcel shelf.

Wish I still had it to get a picture of it, would explain it better!!
              This is the solution to mounting it the way he wants...I know exactly what you are talking about(installed a few amps in my day this way(comes out very neat if done correctly)
              Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
              Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Comment

I don't know what's happening with this forum or maybe my posts? lol But I responded to this tread this morning and it's vanished!

Basically, I'm going to have some hollow alloy tube cut to length as standoffs then have a treaded bolt run through that which the amp will be mounted to giving about 1.5" air circulation above the top of the amp... Should be plenty for what it's driving which is only 4x door speakers... And I don't drive with the music up to max as I've got a 5 year old in the back so it wont be too demanding!... The sound that is lol.

Comment

Oh and a quick photo of the ply board I've just cut in the last couple of minutes... hows that for updates! lol

Without it fitted, note the mounting holes where the warning triangle holder is usually bolted on to, I will be using these as my fixing point- keeping the car in it's original condition if I decide to strip and resell later.

8 Ply board cut to fit snug, leaving room for factory carpet to cover it.

The CarPC will be located here, although in the photo it doesn't look like there's any space around the CarPC- it's just the angle of the photo, there's a minimum of approx 1/2" space all around.

Will have the USB hub mounted under the CarPC and possibly relays, fuses and distros etc mounted in the top right corner?

Comment

Amp installed, I took the back mounting plate off of the amp to mark up which exposed the inners, this told me that I could mount the amp like so as all of the components and PCB are mounted upside down (if you get what I mean). The alloy cover acts as a large heatsink too, air vents are on the rear (now facing up).

I've been busy with Ply as well but haven't had a chance to download those pics yet.

Comment

You could use PVC tubing to cover the bolts. Don't forget to paint em! You have a nice install going on. I had to read your first posting twice to figure out the translations! lol Why not place the USP hub up front in the dash or center console so you can access it from your driver's seat?

Comment

I have, and I have

I've got chrome PVC tubing from a local DIY store and cut it down to size. Cost next to nothing and looks just as good as metal.

I have a 4 port USB hub mounted in the glovebox too- this is just for thumb drives etc but will rarely get used imo since nearly everything is either wireless or static.

I've not posted on here for a while now as the projects taken a back seat since I'm moving house- infact it's pretty much rendered my car stationary in the driveway lol... Next couple of weeks and I'll be done!

Comment

Now how did I miss this? As far as MultiZone..... You only need one PC. I was trying to put seven in my car, but after running into road blocks I decided to focus on a system that can emulate six computers.

Basically what I have done is used a PCI card for 2 displays. One for the driver, one for the front passenger. For the other four seats, I used 4 USB display adapters. I went with USB adapters because adding a second card gave me booting issues and powering issues. For sound I used onboard and 5 USB Sound Cards. Thats basically it.

So if your setup already has two display ports, all you need is one USB display card and 2 USB soundcards.

All you need then is a FE to do it. Cureently OM is the only FE that has the feature built in for more then two zones. CF right now only has Dual Zone, but they are saying it will be MultiZone in the next update which may come out Thanksgiving.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Are you using OM?

Personally I'd rather wait for CF to release the update rather than use OM. I'm sure they're working hard on OM's background but the front end is lacking.

I'm thinking of using 2 USB cards and 2 USB soundcards for the headrests, mostly to reduce the number of cables running in the car and also because the PCI-E slot cannot be used with my current case design, I could slightly modify it to allow for a PCI-E flexible raiser but then it would interfere with the entire design of the case and it's look! lol

In the time being I will most likely use some sort of VM to run multiple instances.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGuv View Post
                              Are you using OM?

Personally I'd rather wait for CF to release the update rather than use OM. I'm sure they're working hard on OM's background but the front end is lacking.

I'm thinking of using 2 USB cards and 2 USB soundcards for the headrests, mostly to reduce the number of cables running in the car and also because the PCI-E slot cannot be used with my current case design, I could slightly modify it to allow for a PCI-E flexible raiser but then it would interfere with the entire design of the case and it's look! lol

In the time being I will most likely use some sort of VM to run multiple instances.
                              All though I am unhappy with the pace CF is moving with updates, I still use CF and am waiting for the 3.2 update, which will give us multizone. OM isnt far enough to my liking. Once OM is looking more together, then I will maybe switch.

Yea then USB Graphic adapters and USB souncards are the way to go.

I remember I tried N Computing to create virtual stations. It worked pretty good except no touchscreen support and I couldnt run CF multiple instances.

I have never used VM so I dont know if it will suffer the same issues.
                              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X