Light Pipe - LED Effects - messing around

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Pipe - LED Effects - messing around

Ok i was bored decided to play around with optics of acrylic tubes to see if I can use 1 LED to create nice light affect for various parts in the car, here are few pix. I wasn't really stultified, was expecting better results.

Rod itself
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2306707

Green part is where i scratched the rod to let light out

Name:	IMG_9943.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2306708

Name:	IMG_9944.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2306709

Its not really as bright as it appears on photos but it certainly visible

Name:	IMG_9949.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2306710

For easy light transmission, I polished side of the rod

Name:	IMG_9941.jpg
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2306711
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

my rough experience with light tubes, and acrylic--most designs i have come across use at least 2 leds-- one at each end, to help with light dispersion.

the other cool thing that i like to see is that some designs will frost/roughen the back of the acrylic-- so the visible part is still crystal clear, but the frosted/roughed up part catches the light, and sends it out..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Ye if i put 2ND led on other side it will look much better still light does not go to far, well maybe ruby lens will increase the distance but then we not building lasers here

I tried scratching only back part that was not much difference but adding chrome plate on the back projected light much better...

I think straight high power led scrip we build is much better then rod
      3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

definitely.

i used some smd-type plcc2 strips in my trunk for accent lighting-- way brighter then any plexi/acrylic solutions

as you said, you can make some very cool visible effects, but most of them are only visible in a dark room.. put it in a bright room, or in sunlight, and i have never seen a lightpipe beat a raw led..

one of the things i have been meaning to experiment with though is using a frosted/roughted-up acrylic sheet to aid in light dispersion to create a smoother, broader light.. kind of a hybrid of a lightpipe/ raw led solution..

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

well dam thing about LED strip they are dots Under the bright sum my headlight leds SMD3xxx look like small dots even though each led gives me 200LM thats as bright as it gets comparing to ebay stips that have like 30LM per led

by the way we are building 16 zone RGB strip and led controller to control lights in the car, like under body, door light, headlights, interior and 16 zone trigers - u open door door light light up w/ selected effect. Will work as standlone configurable device and will have USB so you can control any lighs the way you want with CarPC

Comment

very cool!

i have been meaning to order some flexible rgb strips, but the brightness, and cost puts me off..

in case you decide to look for a different solution, i found this usb rgb controller a while back:
            http://www.ledlight.com/rgb-controll...ontrolled.aspx

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

dont order cheap streap once for $500 per 5M do worth the money

Also that controller is kinda too weak in functionality and cost alot
              Well mine is more expansive at at leat it has 16 zones (48 channels)
              I have o get back to seldering and put up first protos to the printer

Comment

Why not line it with EL tape? Will give a perfectly even glow. It's how they do it with most concept cars at the car shows.

Comment

Drill out / hollow out the acrylic tube, then coat with clear nail polish, this will get it clear again. Slip the led in the hollowed tube. Wrap end with foil tape. No light wil escape the tube except for where you want it to...

Comment

Just use a lighter to flame it clear.

Comment

EL Tape? like electrical tape or something else?

I would drill a hole inside but diameeter of the rod is to close to my 5mm led rod is lie 6.8mm, i need to use frinds CNC to get the whole right in the midle then

Comment

electroluminescent wire:

one of the first results i found(very common for rc planes/helis for nighttime flying):
                        http://www.glowire.com/plugplay.htm

the problems that i have seen with el wire is that it is very dim during the day-- i have not seen any that is very bright(though i only tried one brand)

when i originally did my headlight retro, i got some streetwires brand stuff, and it was barely visible in complete darkness..

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

Thats the wire form, you can get strip.

Heres a car covered in the stuff.... I mean covered! lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOR9F1iaY04[/media]

Comment

I like those glowing decals
                            So that is some sort of electrical material attached to the body that emits light?
                            Any links where i can buy that material? how thick it is?

Comment

http://www.caribbeancustomdesigns.co...=index&cPath=6

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X