1994 holden statesman touch screen ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 holden statesman touch screen ideas

hey just thought i'd post a quick pic, see if anyone had any tips for me...

i've bought the screen but I want to make it look as OEM as possible... im going to move the abs/irs part to the bottom to take up that space and my screen with fill the space above it within 5mm r so gap... the climate control will stay where it is...

heres a pic of what it looks like now, any ideas would be awesome

Cheers,
    Tom
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Statesman interior.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2307302

i think the best suggestion would be to follow the sticky at the top of this section. you already have a good game plan, which is usually half the battle.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Had same idea(vp calais) and it is a good option. However i choose not to do it. Instead i fitted the screen just above stereo and just below air vents. i did this as i wanted to keep everything original and the touch screen 8" within easy reach and view. Your idea is good for the OEM effect and will work well. Here's a vid of the screen set up in my vehicle if your interested.

Comment

... Nice setup!!
        I did think about just a single din touch screen, but as i will probably sell the car with the car pc included i thought i may aswell integrate it...
        finding the screen was the hard bit, as you would know, there is **** all room behind the stereo, even hard to fit wires behind standard head unit...
        screen arrives on monday so i guess i will figure out if its going to work then

Comment

Let me know if you want to dispose of your current Alpine front panel...

Comment

Fantastic! look forward to seeing the finished project. Ya right. Bugger all room behind head unit and i think that was the hardest part of the install was getting the head unit back in without pinching cables.

Comment

A couple of days ago I suggested doing exactly the same thing to my girlfriends VS, which has a similar layout. She forbade me. Which is probably just as well, the main problem that I could foresee is that the screen would be very low down on the dash, so the eyes would have to travel a much longer distance than if the screen was mounted, for example, where the air-vents above the head unit are. If you were planning on running a GPS this could be too distracting while driving, probably more dangerous.

Just my thoughts. Would you be willing to relocate the air-vents as an alternative?

Comment

Screen to low

i have thought about this, but i live in cairns, if you need a gps then you have some serious problems... most of the setup will be for wank factor more then anything/passenger can watch movies/surf internet on long trips....

The screen arrived today and its a little smaller then i thought, so now that i have a little space, i am thinking of mounting the screen on a tilting bracket so i can tilt it up towards me...

guess this weekend will test my fabrication skills out...

Comment

Alright so I've installed the screen temporarily into the car to test its operation and so on...
                  made some brackets up and after a fair bit of swearing managed to get it set in solid... cables will obviously be behind the dash and when i finish and i will get a black surround made up to fit perfectly around the screen, cardboard is the template...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.47.56.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2281004Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.47.51.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2281015Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.48.16.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2281014Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-22 21.35.43.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2281013Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 11.04.37.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2281012Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-22 21.33.19.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2281011Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.50.36.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2281010Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.39.52.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2281009Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 11.04.25.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2281008Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 11.05.31.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2281007Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 12.53.59.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2281006Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 11.50.25.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2281005Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-24 11.04.52.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2281016

Comment

Lookin good! Will be a nice oem look when you have your black surround made and fitted. What you doing with cd head unit? Or are you having a straight to amp set up?

Comment

Just a thought. Have you considered making a bracket where the face of the touchscreen pivots down so the bottom of screen moves into bottom console to allow you access to the head unit? This would require a different surround finish of course. Hope this crappy drawing explains what im talking about.

Comment

that would work, but decided ive to go with a straight up amp setup do away with the headunit altogether... finding a radio solution is going to be a pain in the *** from what i hear but see how I go... also going to try to get the steering wheel controls working aswell so that solves my issue with changing the volume/stations/tracks.... also limits my eyes off the road etc....

i cant wait to get the surround made... but i just dont want to rush it incase everything falls in a heap lol....

was hoping to continue actually get the cpu in this weekend but work has failed me on that idea....
                        more to come soon!!

Comment

Working...
                        X