Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabrication of new Bezel using 3-d printer..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication of new Bezel using 3-d printer..

I am looking at the possibility of making a dash bezel for my (yet to be purchased) 10" screen to fit it into my console in my truck. The current console is square and has a couple pockets. I am going to remove this trim piece, scan it in to my computer. (I am told there is software available with a kinect to do this.)

I plan to make the necessary adjustments to the file created and then print out a model and see how it looks.

The 3-d printer is something I would have access to because of a local Maker group.

I am curious about the materials that it uses. They told me the plastic it "writes" with melts at about 500F and I wonder if that will be an issue. I have also been considering coating it in fiberglass but figure this might melt the stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I am told they can use Acrylic but that stuff gives off toxic fumes.

Thanks!

some printers can use abs. if you can use that, it's your best bet if you need to modify it at all (grafting it into a larger piece or whatever) but as far as 500f melting point... unless you live in hawaii... and plan on driving into an active volcano. i can't see the bezel ever hitting those temps
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

This unit will do ABS but they told me it off gases nasty vapors and gives everyone in the building headaches. Needs to be in a vent hood or something.

Rodney

Comment

you'll probably be just fine with the other material to be honest. if your fg is getting that hot, something is really wrong. i warn against coating in fg without prepping that surface to allow the fg to 'bite' into it. I use a fg/plastic combo on the very first mod i did... 9-10 years ago on my rx7. and it quickly showed stress cracks
        Last edited by scott_fx; 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM.
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
        X