Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to "glue" plexi glass or acrylic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to "glue" plexi glass or acrylic?

What are some of the names of glues, epoxy, ..., that people are using to make their plexi glass or acrylic cases. I have asked this question several times, but when I go to find the product I never can. So maybe someone can tell me what and where to get it. I have used an epoxy before to put together some plexi, but after a while it got brittle and fell apart.
    "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

I used this:

Just hold the 2 pieces together and inject a little at the seam and it uses capillary action to move into the joint. Hold for like 10 seconds and it is done.
    Cost $2.99 at Hobby Lobby.
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

Comment

cool thanks, looks like i'm makin a trip to the hobby lobby tomm.
      "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

I found it back by the model cars and such. I put my case together and tested on some pieces and only used a little more than a 1/4 of the bottle.
        7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
        ATVMS.com

Comment

its called Metholyene Chloride. Any acrylic shop should sell them, and I'm sure they come in brand names as above.
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

thanks guys, went and got some this morning. tried it on some test pieces and worked out pretty good. i can see that the more coats you add the better. pretty strong bond though. i'll post some picts of my case once i'm done.

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

This is what the "pros" use.

Weld-On 3 or 4, depending on the thickness of the joints. It actually "welds" the acrylic together.

You can buy it here or other places.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=131

* I am not affiliated with any of these companies.

Also, this has been covered many times before in this forum.

Good Luck

Comment

I like to use Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It works well, dries clear and is pretty damn strong. What I'll usually do is, use tape (like blue painters tape) to border the joint about an eigth of an inch, then epoxy, mate the two pieces, wait a minute (or less - use the left over from mixing to judge its state of chemical reaction - you don't want it too runny or too stiff) and remove the tape to take care of any over run (and to get a really nice seam). That's probably the longest pseudo sentence I've ever typed.

- Jeff
                95 Mustang GT Convertible
                87 Mustang GT Convertible
                My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

I like to use Duct Tape because it holds everything together. Has a nice finished alumi-chrome look to it too!
                  If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Jeckyl
                    I like to use Duct Tape because it holds everything together. Has a nice finished alumi-chrome look to it too!

Duct Tape and WD 40 can fix anything! If it isnt moving and ist should be, WD40 it, if its moving and isnt supposed to be, tape it up!
                    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Lol

Comment

There needs to be some kind of forum rule (at least generally accepted taboo) against duct tape. In my car you can not find a single shred of duct tape. Everyone else should be the same way!
                        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Methyl Ethyl Keytone (M.E.K) from HomeDepot in paint section (paint thinner) also work. Just hold/clamp the 2 piece together and use cotton swap or eyedrop to inject at the edge. It uses capillary action to move into the joint. It take a little longer than sfay93 solution (about 10 min).
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Why does that stuff sound familiar? I swear I've heard it somewhere before.

Comment

Sometimes it is refered to Mighty Enthusiastic Keyton.... as in it will disolve many things and quickly.
                              TruckinMP3
                              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X