Mounting Fabricated Dash Panels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Fabricated Dash Panels

I know this should probably go under the "Newbie" section, but I decided that it fits better under here.
    What is the best way to mount home fabricated dash panels? Screws would be too visible and cristmas trees would be difficult to impliment. Also, I have seen a few different materials to make the dash out of (fiberglass, plastic, even foam and bondo), which would you suggest and why?

try pottery I heard its nice
    Originally posted by menudude
    thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

LoL, ok. I guess that's the best reply i get...

Comment

dunno if this helps you at all, but what im doing is making a box that will fit into the space where my radios used to be, and then just using the mounting brackets that came with the car.

Comment

Ok, what are you making the box out of?

Comment

heavy duty double sided tape

Comment

go to home depot and go the AC section. they have sheets of tin there. get that + tin snips to make a basic fabrication. you can epoxy it together once you get it the way you like it.
              Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Originally posted by jusatry
                go to home depot and go the AC section. they have sheets of tin there. get that + tin snips to make a basic fabrication. you can epoxy it together once you get it the way you like it.
                Did you actually do this? The sheet metal used to fabricate AC input/output boxes is fairly thin and not particularly suited to making a sturdy enclosure. Before I bought the C134, I looked at doing this but coudn't find a suitable material at Home Depot. They do sell suitable pieces of aluminum but nothing big enough to make even a c134 size case ... not to mention it was wicked expensive!
                2004 4runner

Comment

The reason I am asking this is because I may get a 1970 Chevelle SS. If I do, then I would like to do the interior and this is a pretty important part. At this point, I have narrowed my options to either wood with bondo and/or upulstery or fiberglass. I can find a way to mount it i guess.

EDIT: Oh yah, the idea of pounding a dash out of sheet metal came to mind too, but screw that!

Comment

rando:
                    i used this to make a prototype, but i ended up using real 1/8" steel i got from a fabrication shop and cut it up with a dremel. But with that cheap thin stuff from home depot, for more strength you can glue/weld multiple layers together.

Crimson:

If you are doing the whole dash from scratch, i would use a combination of wood and sheet metal/cardboard to make a frame, then flece it and fiberglass that *****! It will be nice and strong and a smooth finish. And you can make whatever dash space/LCD mount you want. Just a thought!
                    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Working...
                    X