Laquer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laquer?

So i've almost finished my MDF/Plastic/bondo custom dash - Now i need to think about paint,

I can use some standard black spray paint ( dash is a smooth matt black ) normally I would lacquer this - can you get a matt lacquer? - or any other suggestions for protecting it?
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Being that you are working with plastic and bonda I would suggest to you a paint made for plastics. I personally use SEM vinyl spray paint that you can pick up from an automotive parts store. Then depending on the finish you want you could wet sand it.

Comment

how durable is this finish?
      James

Comment

Hmm, is it possible to give it a 'CF' look? Perhaps some tape or something? Anyone know?

Edit:

I found CF tape, but that wouldnt cover the area or give it the looks. Hmmm.
        ----------------------
        VIA Epia II
        256MB 266DDR Ram
        90GB Wester Digital
        Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
        Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
        ----------------------
        Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

I too am interested if theres any sheets of CF that you could use....

Comment

i've definatly seen large CF panels - try a bit of googling

Comment

u can get a matt lacquer..

what sorta paint are u using??
              if its an enamle.. like a 2pac car paint paint.. generaly they are pretty strong and dont really need a lacqure.. the finish is off the gun...

if u go for an acrylic u will have to laqure it.

look for car paints.. there alot tougher
              View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

ended up spraying it with a black "satin" spray paint, came up perfect - and matches other dash panels well, no need to lacquer the finish seems very durable..
                James

Comment

There are CF twill that you can buy on ebay for about $20. I bought the sheet, it looks really good, I think it just needs a layer of resin over it to give it the finished look. I've never fiberglassed before, but I guess it's meant to take the place of the fiberglass sheets.
                  CarPC v3 - 6/4/2008 - Project Showoff Thread
                  CarPC v2 - Project Showoff Thread
                  Michigan FBody Association - Administrator and Owner

Comment

I used "satin" paint. But I wish I had used vinyl dye (SEMS, etc) because the finish would be much more durable.
                    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
                    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by meissenation
                      There are CF twill that you can buy on ebay for about $20. I bought the sheet, it looks really good, I think it just needs a layer of resin over it to give it the finished look. I've never fiberglassed before, but I guess it's meant to take the place of the fiberglass sheets.
                      CF for cosmetic purposes are tough to work with. The stuff you usually see, like hoods, and wings, are built using molds (and usually vacuum bagging). The molds are coated with a tooling gel, to aid in the removal of the plug (the piece you built) and the mold. When its popped off the mold, the tooling gel is what gives it the smooth clear finish.

If you tried this at home, without a mold, it wont come out as well.
                      Without the proper tools, CF is a pain in the a$$.
                      I've tried working with CF and Aramid a few times, but as far as cosmetics go, they never came out very well. (I was still using a mold, but no vacuum bagging). I still to fiberglass now. Its cheaper and easier to work with.

If you can get your hands on the tools, give it a shot. Any college or university that works with composite construction, like building airplane wings and fuselages, would have the proper tools.

Comment

I used black bumper paint for my dash and it looks exactly like the factory finish. Hold the can like 2 feet away and give it thin layers. I was playing with the finish by holding the can at different distances.

Comment

depends exactly what way u want to use the CF. I.e if u want to to be actual cf, then yea- Lebult is rite.
                          However - if u just want a CF look - in new zealand there is a place called repco (kinda super-cheap auto type stuff) sells some stickon cf lookalike. (Think duracell or window tint kinda stuff). Looks real nice if done properly, if not- looks helluva cheap and crappy
                          92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                          Morex 80W
                          120G External HDD
                          16x2 Charater Display
                          Creative IR Remote
                          VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                          7.2Ah SLA Tank
                          PCMCIA 802.11b
                          256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Paint

Hi,

first off I worked in a body shop since I was 16.

for use on dashes and other interrior parts we always used a water based paint with a laquer based clear. The rease is because if you screw up the paint it is much cheaper to fix and lays out well with one heavy coat. Just get a primer and a good clear coat. never failed us
                            This post college life is a real drag

Comment

will get some pics of the completed dash part today for ya

James

Comment

Working...
                              X