Mounting a lcd in a 98+ Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a lcd in a 98+ Camaro

I've been lurking and reading for quite some time know and have found basically all the info on how to build a carputer I need. The only thing I haven't seen is a 98+ camaro with an indash t/s lcd. Anyone have any links or pics they could post to give me some ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Oh yeah, where did you put your computer at? I have a laptop that I was going to use but it doesn't fit to well under the pass seat or in the boot of the trunk. Thanks again!
    2001 Z28 Camaro
    Epia M10000, 30gb HD, Samsung DVD/CD-R/CD-RW, 7" Lilliput.

Hey man,
    Give me 1.5 months, I'll have pics of the install that I will be starting shortly, on the 99 Z.

Welcome to the boards~
    Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

A month and a half? How about start now, finish tomorrow and then post!
      2001 Z28 Camaro

Comment

You're crazy!
        Im making a custom fiberglass amp/pc box, a fiberglass radio trim plate, and sound deadening the major spots in the car!
        I need more time!!!

Comment

Geez! So much for being one of few people with a carPC in my Camaro! Haha, you guys are lucky for having the later console version. I'm getting ready to install mine into my 94 Camaro. Thankfully I put in the 97+ center console so I have that nice gap between my radio bezel and the console to fit my 10.5" touchscreen in. When you guys get pics, post 'em! Also, either of you know how to integrate the HVAC into your comp?
          CarPC v3 - 6/4/2008 - Project Showoff Thread
          CarPC v2 - Project Showoff Thread
          Michigan FBody Association - Administrator and Owner

Comment

A 10"!! Thats gonna be crazy! but, I know how you feel... I thought I was gonna be the only guy with a CamaroCom.....

About the HVAC, From what I have read, you can use the serial port to control actuators and relays.... to much work for me. I don't know electronics that well.

My install is gonna be better!

Comment

How are you going to fit a 10 inch screen into that gap?

I have a 91 Firebird that I put a 95z28 dash in, with a 2002 console. I bought the console first because it was basically a direct replacement for my ugly 80's style one. Then after I bought my new dash I found out about the gap between them. But that's OK, I had the same idea as you of using the gap for the carputer, but I was planning on a 4x40 LCD.

Comment

I'm going to be entirely removing the headunit and finding somewhere to hide that, but doing the same thing that someone else did where they used cat5 to detach the faceplate and put it in the sunvisor. Then I'm going to use the radio bezel to drop it down to be flush with the 97+ console.

Comment

my 99 monte carlo might have a similar dash as your camaro hopefully i get the time to finish it soon so i can show you

Comment

I'm building a car-puter for my 84 camaro. yeyyyyyyy!

Comment

I actually have a 99 camaro with a datalux 10.4" up front, currently I have a mounting stand made out of aluminum and plexiglass that mounts where the head unit used to exist. However I ordered a second radio-trim bezel and will be doing a little bondo and wood work to sculpt the screen into that spare bezel. I should have some results up next week. If you have any questions about doing this project in a camaro please let me know as I've been doing this for well over a year and have a solution for nearly ever intricacy at this point.

Good Luck

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by jm8881
                        Edit: Oh yeah, where did you put your computer at? I have a laptop that I was going to use but it doesn't fit to well under the pass seat or in the boot of the trunk. Thanks again!
                        Mine is mounted in the glovebox.

Prior to that, I had the computer in an enclosure in the hatch that also held the subs.

I'm selling this car though, so I'll get to start my project all over again when I get my new ride.
                        - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
                        - Via EPIA 800MHz
                        - 256MB SDRAM
                        - 40GB HDD
                        - Targus Wireless Remote
                        - Win 98SE
                        See it Here
                        or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Quijeeboe
                          I actually have a 99 camaro with a datalux 10.4" up front, currently I have a mounting stand made out of aluminum and plexiglass that mounts where the head unit used to exist.
                          Yeah yeah. :P You guys with your 97+ consoles are just lucky, that radio bezel is like perfect size. I haven't taken the step for fabricating it yet, waiting for my itps to arrive and to get GPS software / mouse for it first.

Comment

Originally posted by meissenation
                            Yeah yeah. :P You guys with your 97+ consoles are just lucky, that radio bezel is like perfect size. I haven't taken the step for fabricating it yet, waiting for my itps to arrive and to get GPS software / mouse for it first.
                            Perfect size, yeah right. I know I can modify the bezel to fit a screen in there, my only other thing is where to put the hvac controls if I'm putting the computer in the glovebox.

Or if I put the computer in the trunk and put the hvac controls in the glovebox where can I put a cd/dvd drive at. If it's in the trunk with the computer that would be a major pita.

What about putting a drive in the console but then I have no glove box and a much smaller console area to put my crap in.

Maybe it would be best to put a slim slot load dvd/cd rom in where the asr and fog lights switches were. Move the switches to the console somewhere and then put the computer behind the lcd where there is a lot of empty room. Then put the hvacs into the glove box. Whoa, I just came up with that one. This might be a great idea...
                            2001 Z28 Camaro

Comment

Working...
                            X