Consider not building a case for Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider not building a case for Carputer

I just wanted to throw it out there becasue of all of the trouble that I have been having and am now rid of that if you are planning on placing your carputer in the glovebox upfront instead of the trunk then you might want to take it from me and not build a custom box for it. Instead just use velcro and mushroom head tape(kinda like velcro except much stronger and doesnt wear out) and mount everything inside the glove box with no case.

I went to great lengths to fabricate a box and mount everything inside this tiny box when i could have just done it the easy way. I even sandblasted the lexan to make a frosted effect. I put blue LED's inside so it glowed blue. It truly was a masterful creation.

Today while trying to stuff another peice of hardware inside the case i broke it. It was the best thing that happened to me. I wish I had done it without the fabricated case to begin with.

Now I have full access to all of the componants. All i have to do is open the Glove compartment. Before I would have to open the Glove Compartment and then try to open the case and work on it. It was really hard and cramped. Now i have plenty of space. Take it from me and save yourself some trouble
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

You mean like this?

- Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
    - Via EPIA 800MHz
    - 256MB SDRAM
    - 40GB HDD
    - Targus Wireless Remote
    - Win 98SE
    See it Here
    or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

Thats it.
      That is how mine looks except cooler

Just kidding. I had a bit more room to work with than that. Man it was so much easier this way. I have to kick myself in the arrsss for not doing it this way in the beginning

I spent countless hours fabricating the box only to break it up in the end.

Comment

what about for sticking the computer in the trunk...
        I'm mounting everything on a board of wood and then putting the board on hinges so it can fold up in the trunk.. (filling out the back of it)

Do you think i need a case for this setup...

i'm thinking fanwise and cooling
        mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
        Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

I just mounted my motherboard and stuff to the back of the rear seat:

Comment

Originally posted by Kaspin
            I just mounted my motherboard and stuff to the back of the rear seat:
            I like that, clean and well ventalated
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I wanted to keep the trunk cargo space and becasue i am going to end up putting the woofers there.

Your install looks clean.

Comment

Working...
              X