Fiberglass Tutorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Tutorial

I have created a fiberglassing tutorial that I created after my expirences of making a dash for my screen, and to hold my subs. Here is the tutorial, and I hope you guys get some use out of it! Spread it around!

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php
    http://www.AJQuick.com/ - Fiberglassing Tutorials!
    My Cardomain Page - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T

Good stuff

I'm still contemplating if i should bother making a side/fiberglass box for my sub or just stick a normal box in the trunk.
    ----------------------
    VIA Epia II
    256MB 266DDR Ram
    90GB Wester Digital
    Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    ----------------------
    Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

very nice work. I think we ought to add this to the sticky.
      Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
      Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
      sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Added to my Bookmarks
        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
        Buy Sell or Trade
        If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
        Thank you
        Forex
        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

About how much would all the materials cost to do this at home? I am very intrested, nice work, nice job, and DAMN it looks good
          P.S. - Did i mention how good it looks?
          Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Quick
            I have created a fiberglassing tutorial that I created after my expirences of making a dash for my screen, and to hold my subs. Here is the tutorial, and I hope you guys get some use out of it! Spread it around!

http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php
            i added this to the fiberglass tips sticky at the top of the page.

~mike
            Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
            PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
            2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by cheerio
              About how much would all the materials cost to do this at home? I am very intrested, nice work, nice job, and DAMN it looks good
              P.S. - Did i mention how good it looks?
              Well, the resin was about $50 because I bought a few small containers before I bought the big one. Extra hardener was about $10 for a few more tubes. The MDF was stuff I had around, but the 4x8 piece cost $15. The fiberglass mat was about $15 for the whole lot. The fabric "fleece" was not fleece, I just used an old bedsheet.. The carpet was $20 for 30sq-ft.. plus $10 for cheap horrible spray glue. Add $20 for additional costs (tape, tinfoil, paintbrushes, cups.. etc.), and price adjustments.. and you've got around

Around $130-$150 for the two enclosures.. plus 30 hours of your time over a few days.

Thanks for the comments!

Comment

As i get ready to build a new interior for my truck, I have one question about fiberglassing. Why use fleece, bed sheets in this case, instead of just the fiberglass matt?

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                  As i get ready to build a new interior for my truck, I have one question about fiberglassing. Why use fleece, bed sheets in this case, instead of just the fiberglass matt?
                  because you can't shape it easily since its pretty much inflexible, thus why you have to cut it into small pieces to use. with lightweight fabric you can stretch it and tack it down with glue or staples pretty much however you want to.
                  I'm sorry about the blank posts, I don't know why they're showing up :o

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                    ^^^ What Tongboy Said.

You need to quite magically make something to cover the other side of the enclosure.. so we use fleece in order to soak up a lot of resin and make a hard surface to add matte to. Covering the area with matte then adding resin would be hard.. because the fibers would come apart when trying to stretch.. you could possibly use fiberglass cloth.. but I don't know if that works as well as the fleece.. or matte.

Comment

That explains it, thanks.

Comment

i would say looking around trying to find scrap pieces of fleece would also be slightly cheaper...not that fiberglass matte is some expensive rarity...but for students like myself who are breaking apart pens/popsicle sticks/paper towel rolls for their subwoofer rings for their cheap and homemade feel, i'm more comfortable using the fleece

Comment

I use black felt purchased at the local Jo Ann fabrics store. Easy to cut, cheap, stretchy, and soaks up resin well.
                          WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
                          Webpage

Comment

I've started my project, just have the mold about 4-5 layers thick, touching up weak spots. I'm planning on using an old pillowcase or sheet. As a sidenote, I'm planning on using dowels to create a square frame on the top of the box, it'll add a bit of extra volume.
                            My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                            2 Kicker Comp 10"
                            Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                            Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                            Check it out?!

Comment

Working...
                            X