Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can i put here? 1997-2002 camaro indash PC install (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can i put here? 1997-2002 camaro indash PC install (pics)

I got a 7" 16:9 screen to be mounted in my dash in place of the headunit.

I need some help deciding what to put in the gap left by the size of the screen.

Any ideas? I am open to all kinda of ideas, but i was thinking:
    A: just a blank peice of black plastic (where would i get that?)
    B: Same thing but with maybe a small volume knob, power swtiches idunno where would i get a knob and how to you wire it?
    C: a volume control box simular to what comes with the logitech/klipsh/ etc stereo...but it would have to fit in there perfectly
    D: my LCD screen has 4 buttons on one of its boreds. i guess i could rig them up to fit.

I just wish there was something thats that size and could just slip in.

Help me out and also opinoins on witch on the 3 positions i should put the screen(left right center)

THANX!

PICS

My 97 SS Website

If you're looking for something plastic and easy, why don't you just use a receiver mounting kit for a regular din radio. It will come black, textured, and will fit in the space in your dash. You can trim off the what you need and probably even be able to use the mounting holes for the kit.
    - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
    - Via EPIA 800MHz
    - 256MB SDRAM
    - 40GB HDD
    - Targus Wireless Remote
    - Win 98SE
    See it Here
    or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

How about:
      • a power switch
      • the push buttons
      • power led
      • usb ports

As you're filling in a flat area just some sheet aluminum to hold the screen, painted to match the dash would work well and leave the opening as from the factory so you can revert back to stock when needed.
      EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
      Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
      XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Plastic for in dash installs...

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....84910&desc=ASC

Comment

this site rocks...thax guys

As for the 1.5 din adaptor they would of course have to be trimmed vertically (screen way tall) but they are too wide for my screen still. I think im going to order some of that black plastic trim stuf 12x24 sheet for $3 bux? hell yah

Now for the buttons..
          I know i can do a search for the buttons but what about knobs from volume? thinking about 1/4 diamiter round etc..

I will take a picture soon, but one of the controller boards has 4 imput buttors about 1/4- 1/2'' apart. but there simply stems about 1/3'' tall. i need some yinda way to push them. how would i do that if they are about 1/4 below (or behind) this black plastic switch panel im making?

some kinda dead switch. Im like tearing up all the electroic in my house trying to find simular items lol
          My 97 SS Website

Comment

Well, a volume knob is only a variable resistor, you can get that at radio shack, but how you would wire it is beyond me, i tried to learn electronic circuts and damn does it look hard. It would be possible, but im sure youw ould have to make a circut to put voltage thru the VR, and read how much current is comming back, and send it up to the computer.
            Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by camarossguy2
              I got a 7" 16:9 screen to be mounted in my dash in place of the headunit.

I need some help deciding what to put in the gap left by the size of the screen.

Any ideas? I am open to all kinda of ideas, but i was thinking:
              A: just a blank peice of black plastic (where would i get that?)
              B: Same thing but with maybe a small volume knob, power swtiches idunno where would i get a knob and how to you wire it?
              C: a volume control box simular to what comes with the logitech/klipsh/ etc stereo...but it would have to fit in there perfectly
              D: my LCD screen has 4 buttons on one of its boreds. i guess i could rig them up to fit.

I just wish there was something thats that size and could just slip in.

Help me out and also opinoins on witch on the 3 positions i should put the screen(left right center)

THANX!

PICS

finally a camaro in this forum... and i thought there were only civics here.

Comment

Originally posted by c a m a r o
                finally a camaro in this forum... and i thought there were only civics here.
                Wow, should I take offense to that? I've been here with my Camaro for quite some time.

I'm just kidding. I've had my carpc setup in my Camaro for quite awhile now, but I'm looking to get rid of my car in favor of something new.
                - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
                - Via EPIA 800MHz
                - 256MB SDRAM
                - 40GB HDD
                - Targus Wireless Remote
                - Win 98SE
                See it Here
                or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

If the opening isn't as big as the active area of the LCD (it looks like that), you should cut away some of the plastic on the bottom and maybe top so that it's closer to being flush instead of sunken in. If you did it just on the bottom it would angle it up more for a better viewing angle. Just make sure you don't make it so big that you see the metal frame of the LCD. Also, put a few layers of cling wrap around that LCD while you're working with it. It looks like your going to scratch it with that quarter!

Comment

Just wanted to show you something similar since it's probably the exact same dimensions. This is centered, so it leaves less room than you would expect for buttons on the sides, but I think it looks better.
                    bondo job back front

Comment

Originally posted by _maelstrom
                      Wow, should I take offense to that? I've been here with my Camaro for quite some time.

I'm just kidding. I've had my carpc setup in my Camaro for quite awhile now, but I'm looking to get rid of my car in favor of something new.
                      do you have any pics of your setup? i'd like to see what an in-dash screen looks like on a 93-96 camaro? anyway, im thinking of building a custom dash for mine. haha.. the only way i'd get rid of my camaro is for a 1st gen camaro... no way in hell ill take any other car over a camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
                        Just wanted to show you something similar since it's probably the exact same dimensions. This is centered, so it leaves less room than you would expect for buttons on the sides, but I think it looks better.
                        bondo job back front
                        That looks sweet! I want to do this in my TA, I thought I was going to have to relocate my AC controls to the center console. What do the buttons do? I see one of them is for screen power...
                        WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
                        Webpage

Comment

You have a M6 right? Do you smoke? Ash tray works well for putting a few switches or buttons in. That little cubby next to the cig lighter works well to put a switch panel in too. The trim plastic is a odd shape so its hard to put stuff center. I'm still trying to figure how to put my 8" LCD in my 02 Z28. Lots of Mod I guess.
                          Pretty sweet 30th BTW.

Comment

It's actually a very tight fit with the lilliput LCD module being 105mm and the opening is around 103-105mm (not very even) from the top to the AC controls. That's why I didn't pick the Xenarc. It's 118mm I think. I dremelled a little off under the top (those plastic ribs) and moved the AC controls down about 2mm by grinding the screw holes and the holes that those pins go in. So now it's adjustable (up/down). I would think the Camero has more room on top so it's probably less of a problem. The buttons are LCD power, PC power, power antenna and garage door opener. Eventually I'll have the antenna and LCD back to being PC controlled though.

Comment

Working...
                            X