Dash Paint Method

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Paint Method

I have a '97 Ford Explorer that I hacked up the dash to put in a Lilliput. What do I need to do to repaint it, and what kind of paint should I use to get the same texture. Do I need to put down some kind of base coat, and then paint it? or what?

Before:

After:

Thanx!
    -Tyson-
    [********--] About 90%
    Done for the most part. Except tweaking the software.
    '96 Ford Exploror, m100000, 7" lilliput molded into dash, mini ps2 keyboard from gaming store, Windows XP, Frodo.

use a primer to fill in minor imperfections and i heard that model paint is good for recoloring dash panels.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

A lot of people are using the Krylon Fusion paints on their dash and other interior panels. The only problem with the Fusion paints is the limited number of colors available. They make it in like 32 colors, but most of the retailers (at least the ones I've been to in my area) only carry like 5 or 6 of the real basic colors because there's no demand for the others.
      - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
      - Via EPIA 800MHz
      - 256MB SDRAM
      - 40GB HDD
      - Targus Wireless Remote
      - Win 98SE
      See it Here
      or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

check this post out:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=19
        "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
        http://www.eff.org/

Comment

USe Vinyl dye - SEMS makes a good series in spray can, as does Plastikote. I have used vinyl dye in my car and it holds up much better than any paint + clear coat will.
          Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
          Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
            USe Vinyl dye - SEMS makes a good series in spray can, as does Plastikote. I have used vinyl dye in my car and it holds up much better than any paint + clear coat will.
            ^^^^True dat.^^^^

Also - you can duplicate the texture by misting several dry coats on after the good coverage and smooth finish is achieved. Experiment on scraps first to test the look.
            Fabricator

Comment

Use SEM.... I have used it for 4 different dash setups between my friends and myself. You don't even need a clear coat afterwards. Just put enough coats of SEM and you will love it. My .02!

Comment

Where is the best place to buy this SEM stuff?

Comment

Look at their site and it shows the nearest sales reps and suppliers by state
                  http://www.semproducts.com
                  CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

How glossy is this stuff? I'm looking for more of a mat finish with a small amount of shine.

Comment

Check out my post of my carputer install in the projects forum. If you scroll to the bottom you can see my center dash with liliput screen housing painted graphite grey.

Comment

Working...
                      X