dash cover/ door idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dash cover/ door idea

hi guys, i have a 1993 nissan maxima and am planning on mounting a 7-8 inch lilliput and carputer in the dash. however when watching tv i saw a commercial for the scion tc and it gave me an idea. the scion has a slideable face plate that slides upward and into the dash to reveal the stock double din radio. as seen here
    http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/tc/tc09.jpg
    or can better be seen in the customize a scion online demo.

my idea was to fabricate such a piece to work with my dash using black textured abs plastic. My plan is to mount the lcd in the double din location and have the headunit situated below it. here are some pictures of maximas of the same year as mine to show what kind of area and locations im working with. these are not of my car but show the dash panel in question.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...03_11_full.jpg

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=lcd

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...57_35_full.jpg

any suggestion as to what kind of hinge or maybe drawer sliders or other hardware that would achieve the desired effect. Any help suggestions or thoughts would be aprreciated.
    Andoid-car.com
    Home of Android Car Enthusiasts

I saw that same scion commercial that you did and had the exact same idea. I was wondering how I could go about doing it in my wrx. The major issue to resolve as I see it is that there needs to be a slot space created above the monitor, which would most likely involve cutting into the dash in your case. It's hard to make something like that look clean and do it in a way that doesn't crack the plastic or make it warp in weird ways. I think the hinge mechanism could be had with a quick trip to the junkyard. A lot of ash trays in cars have a flip up door that works much the same way. You might be able to take it out and extend it to fit a larger plastic plate.

Another option would be to find out the part number for that assembly on the tc and find a way to mold it into your setup.

Good luck, I'll be searching for ways to do this too.
    2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
    -FP18G turbo
    -Walbro fuel pump
    -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
    -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
    -Blitz FMIC
    -STI cluster
    -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
    -Tein Flex coilovers
    -NOS 50 shot
    -2004 rear conversion

Comment

I've had the same idea for a while now, I first saw it done in the Lincoln Navigator. It has a flip-up door in front of the navigation system. I've been thinking of the best way to do this. I'm not sure if I want it to flip up or slide up. I think the sliding door would be much better, but it would involve more work.
      Installed
      Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
      512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
      Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
      [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

how about those big, single piece garage doors, that are found usually on old houses?

kind of like this....

this would probably even allow motorization.
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

You could use something like a garage door; I'm just wondering how to make it motorized. Iím thinking you could use one of those motors from the little toy cars that run on a track. Only problem is you would have to control the speed of the motor so the door goes up slowly. I also need to figure out a way to make the door open when you turn the ignition and make it close when you turn off the car, that would be awesome.
          Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

you could use the same mechanics as an actual garage door, and you could just use the same remote line as the carputer.

Comment

I have something like that stock that came on my Del Sol to cover the stereo compartment... it slides down instead of up, and is on a basic hinge type mechanism I think
              1995 Talon TSi AWD, 1992 Lexus SC300... LexusPC is finally almost ready for install!

Comment

700mx6: Does your cover slide down by itself of do you have to slide it manually?
                Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                  you could use the same mechanics as an actual garage door, and you could just use the same remote line as the carputer.
                  I was thinking of doing something to that effect. Put rails on both sides like a garage door and then use a small motor with some sort of a pulley to slide the door. Then I would connect the power to the ignition so when I turn on the car it would slide up.

But now how would I make the motor go in reverse when I turn off the car, so the door slides back down?

How would I stop the motor once the door is fully open so it doesn't keep spinning?
                  Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Use a small electric actuator (it's like a self contained hydraulic cylinder, but all electric) with a limit switch. A limit switch makes it so that if you hit one extreme or the other, it stops.
                    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                    http://hallert.net/

Comment

does anyone have a pic of the "doors" that were mentioned in the del sol and the navigator?
                      2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
                      -FP18G turbo
                      -Walbro fuel pump
                      -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
                      -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
                      -Blitz FMIC
                      -STI cluster
                      -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
                      -Tein Flex coilovers
                      -NOS 50 shot
                      -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Comment

What type of actuator should I use for the door. I did a quick search and found some actuators, but was not sure how many rpm they should be. What do you think about these, I'm not sure if their the right ones.
                          Link 1 Link 2

Once the actuator has open fully in one direction does it go in the other direction once the power is supplied?
                          Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

check this out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock3.htm
                            i would go for the lowest rpm possible.

Comment

If I use a power door lock actuator will I be able to set different opening limits on them or are they set to one limit?

Also if a power door lock actuator is the wrong one for this use, which one should I use?
                              Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X