Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will molding a dash void a lilliput's warranty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will molding a dash void a lilliput's warranty?

Okay, I'm receiving a new lilliput in the next couple of days. I plan on moding it in the dash, however, I do not want to void the lilliput's warranty, especially because it is very prone to problems.

Are you all just opening the cases and not caring about the warranty?

Do you think just painting the case will void the warranty? addding mold (bondo or rigid filler)?

Thanks.
    --------
    mykolJay
    99 Accord coupe
    http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
    My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Originally posted by mykolJay
    Okay, I'm receiving a new lilliput in the next couple of days. I plan on moding it in the dash, however, I do not want to void the lilliput's warranty, especially because it is very prone to problems.

Are you all just opening the cases and not caring about the warranty?

Do you think just painting the case will void the warranty? addding mold (bondo or rigid filler)?

Thanks.
    I think it would be a safe bet that your warranty would be voided as soon as you made any changes. Most warrantys are voided as soon as the case is opened.

Scorp

Comment

If you paint the case they will not be able to replace your unit in case of malfunction.
      They usually take the damaged units and sell them for less at various locations.
      They might have problems selling a painted one, so they'll consider it damaged by the owner.

Seriously though, there are lots of people here that don't care about warranty.
      After all, you didn't buy it to sit on a shelf in your basement, you bought it specifically for the car.
      I say go for it!
      00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
      Newest install - my quickest ever
      My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
      My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

I see everyone's point. However, $300 is a lot. I don't want to invest in another screen, if this one goes. It fits pretty well in a Honda accord dash (at least the width is perfect). I'd rather cut and sand the front console to fit the screen with casing. Plus I really like how the buttons look (blue) and the functionality of them (power, dim, av switch).

I'm thinking with some MDF board and filler, I can somehow still get the OEM look, it'll be challenge, but at least give me peace of mind.
        --------
        mykolJay
        99 Accord coupe

Comment

you probably only have a 30 day warranty like the rest of us, safe to say, It'll probably go out on day 31.
          2011 Nissan Frontier SL
          AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
          OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

If you have enough room in the car, build a case/frame for the whole screen. So you just snap the whole Lilli in the frame. If you are not open the lilli, the warrantee is NOT void.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by mykolJay
              I see everyone's point. However, $300 is a lot. I don't want to invest in another screen, if this one goes.
              If you seriously dont want to spend money on a second screen, then dont open/paint it. Especially if you just bought a lillyput. The life span on these screens is very low, almost disposable. It almost a good idea to buy 2 screens and use one as a back up.
              01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
              01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
              mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                If you seriously dont want to spend money on a second screen, then dont open/paint it. Especially if you just bought a lillyput. The life span on these screens is very low, almost disposable. It almost a good idea to buy 2 screens and use one as a back up.
                Just how long is the lifetime of a Lilliput. That's not something I want to replace all the time not would I be able to afford to.

Derek
                Progress [||-------]
                View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
                Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

Can anyone confirm that the warranty is only 30 day?
                  --------
                  mykolJay
                  99 Accord coupe

Comment

I just bought mine and it has a 12 month warranty.
                    20 Gig Hard Drive
                    DVD ROM Drive
                    Casetronic 2699R Case
                    300 Watt Power Inverter
                    Windows XP Pro
                    Winamp 5.2 enlarged
                    USB 2.0 PCI Card
                    Liliput 7" USB Touch Screen

Comment

what about from the mp3car store, zip-lock can u let us know?
                      My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                      2 Kicker Comp 10"
                      Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                      Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                      Check it out?!

Comment

Is the Xenarc that much better?

Comment

search septic :P
                          lilliput - cheap
                          xenarc - expensive

you get wot u pay for, depends on yr budget. So far ive had no problems with the lilliput.
                          Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                          Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                          CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                          http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

I had Lilly for more than 30 days before it went bad and John Xu over at Lilliput took my screen and they shipped it to Hong Kong to get repaired; no charge to me. It had ben painted and all.
                            Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

Does anyone find themselves up at night coming up with fabrication ideas for their carpc?

I'm starting to like the idea of molding mdf or project wood on the console and simply having the lilliput snap on from behind. I've got lots of ideas and I guess I'm just going to play around. I can't wait to get the screen. This is going to be a great July 4th weekend.

I figure I'd rather cut the center console. I can always get a replacement off of ebay for $40USD or so.
                              --------
                              mykolJay
                              99 Accord coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X