Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I fit in the dash of my Grand Prix?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I fit in the dash of my Grand Prix?

I've got a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix with the usual large AC-Delco HU. I was planning to yank it out and installing an in-dash lcd like the one(s) from digitalww.com. But I also wanted to install something else under it, like a full 5 1/4" CD/DVD drive. I have no clue if it will fit. The CD drive is about 1 1/2" tall, but how tall is the in-dash lcd? Do you think it will all fit?
    Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
    Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Pictures would help.

Comment

Welcome fellow GPer!!!

Check out the link in my sig for how I mounted mine. I have a Lilliput now so the screen does not hang over the air vents as much as the other one. Good luck.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

HA! Nice. I was planning to put the PC in the center arm rest too.

Sorry Telos, I have never removed my factory stereo before. That's why I'm asking about the room I have in there. Here's a pic of the size of the stereo that would fit in my car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...707140832&rd=1

I think it's 1 1/2 DIN. But I'm not totally sure. I measured the space in the front pannel at 3.5".

Comment

You won't have the room for what you are looking to do. That would be a 2Din install. You would have room, I believe, for a slimline DVD drive and the indash though. You would prolly have to make your own install kit...
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

A regular CD rom drive is 1.5" tall. The only trouble that I could run into is the space behind it. That leaves 2" for the in-dash lcd install. I have a feeling that the lcd is going to be taller, but I'm not possitive because I can't find the dimensions for it on the site.

This is a picture of the in-dash housing I'm refering to:

Comment

Ok, I double checked and there is less than 3.5" of space. It's more like 3.2". I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to fit both the screen and a 5 1/4" CD drive in there. A slim drive might fit, but they are not what I would consider cheap.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Comment

You can get the Storix DVD drive from Tigerdirect.com for $90.
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

I don't think they sell that one anymore. I was on their site earlier today and it wasn't listed.

I'm going to drive over to their outlet in Markham, Ontario today and see if they have anything that's not listed on their website.

Are you on ClubGP by any chance Defiler? I don't hang out there often as I run a local GP chapter in Toronto. But it's always nice to run into fellow GP'ers. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Yep. Part of the Tampa Bay chapter in Fl. but we haven't done anything in quite some time as a club. I post on the forums every once in a while.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Ok, the factory radio unit gives me somewhat of an idea, but it would help if I could see what the entire center console looks like. For my screen input I had to remove the factory head unit (also 1 1/2 din) and the climated control. Then I used the removeable center console insert to fiberglass and bondo my lcd in there. Here is how it looked like before the lcd install (you can see the two units at the top of the pic, sorry for not having it centered as this part was really not what I was concentrating on for the picture):
                      http://filebox.vt.edu/users/talberi/IMG_0354.jpg
                      Here is a pic of the finished product:
                      http://filebox.vt.edu/users/talberi/IMG_0358.jpg

You can see the two units down below the screen. That whole black part snaps out of the dash.

Comment

I picked up my slim DVD drive for $30.. Pricewatch.com
                        http://www.AJQuick.com/ - Fiberglassing Tutorials!
                        My Cardomain Page - 1998 Dodge Neon R/T

Comment

Now you tell me. I just bought a slot Pioneer drive yesterday. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X