Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duramix is the Answer for Dash Fabrication!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duramix is the Answer for Dash Fabrication!

Well I have been working on fixing my dash panel this weekend, and I have to say that Duramix is the answer for a plastic to plastic bond. It is basically a 2 part liquid plastic in a tube.

I bought the stuff from Levine auto. It is 27 a tube. They want like $60 for the gun to use it. Since I was not about to pay $60 for a tool I had limited use for I went to lowes to see what I could come up with. I bought the biggest cheap caulk gin they had for about 8 bucks. I then bought a piece of 1 inch dowel for like $4. Whoala, a duramix caulk gun for $12. You just cut the dowel into about 6 inch pieces and use then to push the material. You have to cut the corners off of the base of the duramix tube so that it will fit in the gun easier.

I would recommend buying one tube of Duramix 4040 and one of 4058 and at least 12 mixing tips for the 4040. Each time you want to apply the 4040 you will have to use a tip. I unfortunately bought 2 tubes of 4040 and no 4058. The 4058 is a skim coat that you will need to fill in holes with.

Since I don't have a DA sander and was using my dremel free hand, I am going to need a lot of 4058

4040 bonds VERY quickly.

I am going to include a picture of the duramix gun I made. I am not putting a picture of the dash piece in because it is far from done and I have painted it so that I can use it in the truck this week. I am working in Atlanta and my house is in Charlotte, where I do the work on the truck and stuff so it is only on the weekends. I just ordered a tube of 4058 and I plan on working on that next week.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John
    Attached Files
    JohnRam

I like that tool. It should also be noted that you need to pick different types of duramix for different types of plastics...

Comment

Does the 4058 require extra mixing tips? Also,

I've used the 4040 but never the 4058. I saw the glassman 5.1 videos and he is using 4058 for the lowspots instead of filler. He doesnt really say how hard it is to sand, i know he uses a DA, but i want to know how hard/easy it is to sand by hand?
      screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

its hard to sand, i used this stuff before, its like hard plastic, but its da bomb, i have the 30 second stuff to but rairly use it, i find that the "fusor" stuff works well too...

but my most favorate stuff in the world is the stuff i made my dash from...

DLn' 120 pics right now so i will take one in like 5-10 min...

made by pro form, "pf 702" "rigid plastic epoxy repair kit"

no shrinkage, can be baked and painted, no pinholes, excellent sandability and good for smc and frp
        Life Dosn't come with a reset button, if it did you might as well turn the game off.

Comment

Originally posted by portabuddy View Post
          made by pro form, "pf 702" "rigid plastic epoxy repair kit"
          where do you buy this stuff?
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

i bought it from a auto body suply store, it realy is verry good, it sands so easy, its like working with foam. i love it, i hate sanding and this stuff is easy as hell to work with and sand to how you want it...
            Life Dosn't come with a reset button, if it did you might as well turn the game off.

Comment

how hard is it when cured?
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

ROCK HARD, if its thin it snaps, like les then 1/16"... but if thick like 1/8" then its bullet proof... it take 15 min to het totaly hard and 24houres to fully cure to maximum hardness...

Comment

Originally posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
                  Does the 4058 require extra mixing tips? Also,

I've used the 4040 but never the 4058. I saw the glassman 5.1 videos and he is using 4058 for the lowspots instead of filler. He doesnt really say how hard it is to sand, i know he uses a DA, but i want to know how hard/easy it is to sand by hand?
                  bump

Comment

you need a new tip every time you use it, and if you stop in the midle of the job half the tube will set, It does a exelent job mixing but you need new ones everytime you use the epoxy...

Comment

cool so its just like how you use 4040

Comment

my only problem with duramix is its 40 dollars a tube.

Most of the time I can just use a 3 dollar tube of plastic epoxy for my needs.

And some Hilti guns (got them from my work) make perfect duarmix guns withou any modifications.
                        Car : 00' Chrysler 300M
                        Speakers : Rainbow Audio SLC 265 | Subs : Diamond Audio D6 12" Subs X2
                        Amp's : Hifonics ZXi 6006 AB | Hifonics BXi 1606 D
                        CarPC: HP Laptop AMD Sempron 3000+ | 1.5GB RAM | DVD+RW | 80GB 5400RPM HD | ATI R200 Video

Comment

$26 a tube son!

Comment

I can get the stuff at $15 a tube so its not so bad for me

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFocusZX3 View Post
                              I can get the stuff at $15 a tube so its not so bad for me
                              used both 40/40 and 40/58. But I rarely use the 40/40. I just stick with the 40/58. it much better to sand and fills holes well, great stuff. where do you get it for 15$ a tube? Lowest I bought it for was $26
                              https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

Working...
                              X