Skeletal frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeletal frame

Ok, I'm going to mount my entire system (screen and all) in a box that'll rest between the seats on the floor. I'm going to try to fit the contour of my dash as much as I can. I'm also going to try to place the surface of my screen at an angle that's conducive to viewing and touching.

I'm thinking I'm going to resess the screen a bit to reduce glare and to be able to put a cover over it (hopefully to prevent theft and add protection when not in use).

I plan to build a frame out of 1"x1" strapping. It's going to be pretty elaborate as it will hold all components and frame the skin of the box. I figure I'll use the thinnest plywood I can find for the skin, and then cover it with auto-motive carpet.

Because this will block my existing outlets, I'm going to extend them to mount out the sides.

Does anyone have anny suggestions for me to ponder before I start hacking away at it?

,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Post a pic of your current dash if you have one.

If you are planning to have GPS you may not want to have to look down so much. Are there any alternitaves?
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I did exactly that when I had my silverado. If my usersite hadnt been lost, I'd have lots of pics for you. Here are some tips:

1. Use solder or another somewhat rigid yet flexible wire to make a contour for where the box meets the dash. Then trace that contour onto posterboard and cut it out. Make sure it fits how you want it to, then you can match that contour to your console.

2. DO NOT use your 12v lighter sockets to power your system. Run a proper power cable. Trust me

3. Unless it's topheavy, you don't really have to worry all that much about bolting the console to the floor. The weight will keep it there.

4. On my truck, there was a floor vent right where the back of your box will be. I left the back of the console open and used that vent to cool the system in the summer
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Here's 2:
        Attached Files
        ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

did the same first time around in my caravan, hated it lost space between seat, had to look too far down to see the screen . and then it blocked my heater and radio controls.
          only thing nice was it was easy to remove , too easy when i spoke to my ins. guy said if it was not in the dash mounted thay could not insure it .
          so i now i am getting much better with fiberglass and into the dash it's going.

Comment

My insurance says it must be "semi-permanantly afixed to the vehical" So they will insure it, god knows i pay them enough. Tips for the build....anyone?
            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

ps still build the consol ,just move the heater and head unit into it.

Comment

It wont cover the current Hu and HVAC controls
                ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

i uesd foil tape , the stuff that is used for drier ducts , taped to my dash. then used clay to make an inprint of the contoure. transferd that to hard board (home depot $6 for a 2 x 3 foot piece 3/8 inch thick ) cut it out with jig saw .sanded untill fit perfict. then used that as a templet for a router with a 45 angle and a bearing collet to bring it as close to the dash as possable. aslo for the screen used the same bit cut the opening smaller made a guide on the back side as the router cut it gave a nice radus on the corners.

Comment

Man that dash is just calling out for a 7" LCD. Are you planning on running headunitless?

I have mine set up that way and it sweet, i don't even miss the headunit (except for radio but i have so much media that i never get board)
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                      It wont cover the current Hu and HVAC controls
                      methinks what he meant was something like this:

unfortunately, thats the best surviving picture of that setup
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                        Man that dash is just calling out for a 7" LCD. Are you planning on running headunitless?
                        The original idea was to minimize car modification. I don't now much about cars, like rippin the dash apart and taking out HUs and stuff, so i get real nervous.

Don't be surprised if the LCd ends up there and the HU/HVAC end up lower.... is an HVAC hard to move?
                        ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

not as hard as you may think . mine is all electric -- no cables for the heater
                          just had to make the harness longer. got dash parts from a junk yard. cut them out leaving contact serface to dash intact. kept heater controls from jy parts for moving to lower part of dash . had my origanls to reinstall when i sell van. also when at the junk yard get harness end for heater so you will only need one splice.

Comment

also we have a junk yard called u- pick it it's where you pull out your own parts --
                            good place to learn about "ripping out your dash with out hirting the one in your car !!!
                            you may try and see if there is junk yard of this type around you

Comment

i got a complete dash assmbley this way for 50. bucks . did all my glassing in my basement (use exhust fans !!! ) let me say that again ( use exhust fans !!!) glass will not stick to plastic when waxed. made it a easy project. everything fits perfectly with no gaps and clearances were so much quicker when you can look from the back of the dash.

Comment

Working...
                              X