Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no0b...how do i go about removing my dash? i can't see any bolts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no0b...how do i go about removing my dash? i can't see any bolts!

i know you guys might not be able to tell me the specifics for my vehicle, but maybe you could give me some clues as to how a dashboard is generally removed...or just the center console...

don't let a day go by without finding some wonder in it...

I need this as well ...the only problem with modern cars, everything is built into itself if that makes sense

Comment

look under and around for plastic clips. look into your vents for screw holes. sometimes they're just snapped in. what car? you can probably find a service manual for that car.

Comment

Go to the auto parts store and get a repair book on your vehicle. That's the best way. Otherwise you might break a part trying to remove it. It's very easy to break something if you're removing it wrong.
        http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

If you're prying on something and it seems harder than it should be, then stop. I was stumped on a particular panel in my car until I realized there was one screw holding it in place behind the ac vent.

A agree with srcstc... the service manual will have a lot more information than you need, but it does usually show how to disassemble just about everything in your car.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

Comment

funny thing is, i have that book...i just haven't read it for the purpose of removing the dash...thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by saikano
              funny thing is, i have that book...i just haven't read it for the purpose of removing the dash...thanks guys

LOL! Sometimes you can find a good how-to on a forum for your specific vehicle. Do a google search for dash removal or something like that.
              http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

yeh, definitely use a manual or look on forums for your specific vehicle.

I have a honda and could not find a screw (it was hidden behind the clock that pops out). I recently took out everything in my dash and center console with the help of a how-to.
                --------
                mykolJay
                99 Accord coupe
                http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

:::sigh::: no luck on finding how-to's...i hope the book is sufficient

Comment

hmmm I couldn't find any either.

Just start removing anything and everything. I would search harder for a how to. I found them for my mercury cougar
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

lookie lookie

i got it got it!

thanks guys

the screws are in the cigarette tray, just two of them

and here it is, removed!

looks like i have a lot of cleaning to do...

Comment

I had a girlfriend with a tracker. If you replace the battery or remove the radio, it loses it's security code, so make sure you have that if you ever want to put it back in! There's also an annoying "service engine soon" switch that you have to flip at 80k and 100k miles. That may not have been a 97 model though.

Comment

[freaked out] loses the security code??! what security code? what's it for? why is it there? what am i not supposed to do again? and aren't i supposed to replace the battery at some point in the vehicle's lifetime?

hehe

Comment

I can't remember exactly, but if anything goes wrong, a dealer will fix it for like $20. There's something in the owner's manual about pushing buttons on it to see the code and how to enter it again. Or after you replace the battery and see "LOC" on the display (radio won't work) you can hit some buttons to see a different code that you give someone at 1-800 number and they will give you a new code to enter.

Comment

Most new factory HUs read a part of the VIN and check it aginase what is programed in by the dealer (it says so in my manual) So if the radio is stolen and reused the VIN it reads wont match whats in memory and render the unit useless.

Cutting the power can reset the VIN in memory... thus the reset memory wont match what it reads and the dealer has to go reprogram it.
                              ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Working...
                              X