Hard Drive Shock Proofed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Shock Proofed

I just thought I would share a picture of how I shock proofed my hard drive. I have been experienceing some problems with NTFS read errors attributed to my crazy driving and stiff suspention so I did this to fix the problem and so far so good. Block of semi-soft perferated foam & some rubber bands and a few old plastic AT style motherboard mounts and TA-DA.

http://www.ridemods.com/secondsig.jpg

Well, at least its mounted vertically.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadnick
      some rubber bands
      I would be very carefull with these... They start decomposing (or how do you pronounce that) after a *pretty short* while. (Especially in hot environments)
      Needstorage
      --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

yeah, the rubber bands will definitely get hard and crack due to the heat...maybe you can loosely tie on some zip ties?
        Lexus SC400
        Subaru WRX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Needstorage
          I would be very carefull with these... They start decomposing (or how do you pronounce that) after a *pretty short* while. (Especially in hot environments)
          And I know, because of experience...
          back in my 'newbie'-days I managed to attach a cpu cooler on the processor using one of those small rubber bands. But not for long...
          Needstorage
          --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
          And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

what about using some loose bungee cord? I also looked at this and thought that 'memory foam' like they use in those cheap beds might work better. If you did this, you would have to use a spacer screw (with a rubber shock mount) to hold the hard drive off of the mount points, or it would probably sink right in to the foam.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm going to remove the rubber bands and replace them with something a little more reliable tomorrow. Haven't decided yet on what but I'll figure something out
              http://www.ridemods.com/secondsig.jpg

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I had an old 3GB laptop drive in my truck just a few weeks and it is saying that it cannot find a system file to boot. Not sure if it is the heat or the vibration, or both. I have been looking for a way to relieve some of the stress on the HDD since I just bought a new Toshiba 60GB 5400RPM laptop drive.
                "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
                http://www.eff.org/

Comment

heres a free memory foam link... you still have to pay shipping. It is a 3" piece. A few of these put around the mount pints with standoff screws might do it.

http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/memsample.htm

When I do mine, I am thinking I will set up 2 hard drives, with 2 partitions on each. I will then load up my OS on the first partition of one drive, and software mirror the second partitions with RAID 1. This will be my data partition with the movies, mp3's etc. That way if I have a data problem on one drive, the other can 'pick up' the slack and I'll have errors in the OS to warn me that it is failing.

The OS partition though cannot be mirrored as far as I know, so I will just copy it over to the other drives' first partition by putting both drives into my home PC. Then if I have an OS failure on my carPC, I can just enter the BIOS and switch the boot to the other hard drive.

It is kind of a pain because I will have to manually copy that OS partition each time I make an update. But it beats being stranded without one, especially on a long trip which is what I am planning mine for (I take several long road trips a year - 24 hrs plus).

Lastly, I will probably use a design at least somewhat like this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...tid=109&page=1

and probably incorporate the memory foam in such a way that I don't overheat the drives and sp they are not just flopping around in my console.

Hope this may give you some ideas.

Comment

I thought about 8 short bungee cords, on every edge of the drive.
                    Than diagonally to all the edges of the (computer) case.
                    So the disk will hang absolutely free.
                    www.Carputerforum.nl

Comment

Working...
                    X