Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get a sheet of metal to create my own case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a sheet of metal to create my own case?

i have been wondering where i can get some metal to encase my motherboard [only the motherboard]. I will bend it myself if i have to...

my idea is that i don't want a full case...just something 3mm larger than the area/height of my mobo so i can protect it from dust.

thanks
    nine.

I know Home Depot sells alumenum (sp) sheets. I think they are about 4'X4' or something like that. Not sure how much they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Animepix
      I know Home Depot sells alumenum (sp) sheets. I think they are about 4'X4' or something like that. Not sure how much they are.
      You may also want to check Lowes.

Scorp

Comment

aluminum sheets, huh? tanx...and luckily for me, those two are right next to each other where i live
        nine.

Comment

Your basic welding shop will either have the sheets or send you in the right direction if the retail chains don't work out.

When building the case keep in mind that a huge sheet will be wobbly (and thus your reaction is to go with thicker sheets) but when you start putting some bends in and cutting it down to size the metal it will stiffen. I ended up getting way to thick of metal, sure my case is built like a tank but it also weighs more then it has to and was a pain in the butt to fabricate.

Comment

thanks adamis...

i'll make sure i don't get metal that isn't too heavy...i'm looking for something that is very light, and still durable...i just want something to surround my mobo...[the components will be elsewhere.]

how did you bend it? i'm looking to get a rounded bend, similar to the cubit

just not so tall
            nine.

Comment

any luck

So were you able to make what you wanted???? I want something like the cubit but a little smaller too.

Comment

i just posted today, silly.
                nine.

Comment

Originally posted by jaeger
                  i just posted today, silly.
                  What, 2 hours isn't enough?
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey
                    What, 2 hours isn't enough?

so does anyone have any ideas on how i can get the round edges? [i was thinking of using a pipe and bending it, but there has to be a more surefire way]

i have the sheetmetal, though...was that fast enuf?

nine.

Comment

Unless you have a full fledged machine shop bending that metal isn't going to be easy if you want it that rounded. I suppose if you find a pipe that has the same radius curve you could some how use clamps to hold the sheet and pipe in one place and then just get a hammer and start hammering away. The sheet metal will conform to the pipe as you hammer it around the pipe. (Not sure if I explained that very clear) You can actually get some surprisingly good bends but I'm not sure if they are as clean as you want them. My own application the case is hidden inside the dash of my car anway so I didn't care how clean it came out.

Comment

it makes sense...that's what i was planning on doing...

i was just wondering if there were other options...[sigh]

thanks
                        nine.

Comment

the pipe method should work unless you have access to some speciality tools.

Scorp

Comment

I wouldn't hammer it. I would clamp the metal to the pipe and then just roll the pipe with the metall attached on a workbench until the desired bend (90 degrees) is achieved. Hammering it would ding it all up.
                            7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                            ATVMS.com

Comment

i'm assuming you picked up some galvanized sheet metal? that is what is carried at my local home depot.

you should go back and pick up a set of sheet metal vise grips. they cost about 12-15 dollars, depending on the store, but they have helped me greatly. They are a large, spade like set of vise grips, and the surface area helps to bend the metal.

you can roll it over a pipe, but make some guide marks on where you are bending it first. trust me on this one

for all exposed edges, I like to roll them over about 1/2 to 1" in, to create a smooth edge on the outside. this makes a project look great. on corners, snip the edge, and bend it in, so it looks continuous.

finnaly, painting galv sheet metal is a *****. i used only acrylic paint (can), and would recommend you do so also. any other treatment don't do squat in my experience.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X