CARBON FIBRE TUTORIAL someone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARBON FIBRE TUTORIAL someone?

Does anyone have a step by step tutorial on finishing an interior part with Carbon Fibre? Not with decals, but stripping off the plastic skin and then re-covering it with Carbon Fibre? There are a couple of threads here about CF but nothing specific.

o/______\o
    (oo_OO_oo)
    []o-----------o[]
    '94 320i

You liked the nissan panel i made that looks like carbon.....its not carbon,it just looks carbon,i used a carbon film with a hairdryer to shrink it over the panel after fabrication.

Just incase you ask...i bought it in halfords.

Comment

You have to invest quite a bit of money to be able to do it. We do it at a friends shop. You will need the vaccuum pump, bags, rolls of fiber, resin, etc. If you don't already know how to do it, it's easier to pay someone, since it's expensive to learn to do it.
      1993 Mazda RX7
      Dell Inspiron 8100 (laptop w/docking station)

Comment

Originally posted by David88vert
        If you don't already know how to do it, it's easier to pay someone, since it's expensive to learn to do it.
        and if you dont have connections be prepared to lay down some $$ for having this done. its not cheep either way.

That sticker is a decent idea but does it look like it is a sticker placed on the dash or does it actually look like someone took the time to do the actual work to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpnstail
          and if you dont have connections be prepared to lay down some $$ for having this done. its not cheep either way.

That sticker is a decent idea but does it look like it is a sticker placed on the dash or does it actually look like someone took the time to do the actual work to it?
          Really depends on how well the sticker is applied as well. I've seen some work that is horrible and later some that I couldnt even tell the difference at all.
          ----------------------
          VIA Epia II
          256MB 266DDR Ram
          90GB Wester Digital
          Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
          Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
          ----------------------
          Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

http://www.mashie.org/guides/cfbalsa01.html

It will be a little different for your application but this is how it's done

If you're recovering another peice... sand it or body fill it smooth, then make an exact opposite contour. So you can mate the two peices... Then follow his design. I would suggest practicing a little before getting right to it. Try a flat peice, then something more complex. Wraping weave around something sometimes it doesn't wrap evenly... and makes some ugly imperfections.

I was thinking about different options when I was looking at redoing my Pinto and thought about making all new CF molding where the old green plastic used to be.

Comment

Great post. It gives the basics on how to work with carbon fibre.

I would like to know how you work with a peice that has curves and angles and circular cutouts.
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I edited it to help.

As for different shapes/cutouts... you'd actually want to 'glass over it and then cut it out with a dremel tool or somehow stretch the fabric as you lay it on. I would suggest placing it at that point then moving outwards. So only that spot is pulled the rest should be even.

Comment

GuyS!!! Take a look here..

http://www.icancomposites.com/forum/...3c08c83da2f400

It's a rather new forum. The guy describes how you can strip The "skin" off of a eg. Console, soak a piece of CF in resin/hardener, then lay it on top of the piece. Of course it's not that simple but, take a look here. If you go through the threads, it looks feasible - not molding a piece but covering a piece..

That mashie site describes a really similar method... It's possible guys!!
                  Who will get the first steps documented here ????

o/______\o
                  (oo_OO_oo)
                  []o-----------o[]
                  '94 320i

Comment

wow, those are great sites, LowMileLude double thanks, I like the servo contol off of your link too
                    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Originally posted by GruvThang
                      wow, those are great sites, LowMileLude double thanks, I like the servo contol off of your link too
                      I got that off another forum I lurk. Pretty good info so I bookmarked it.

The link and procedure I listed should give you a glossy smooth finish. It's really easy with flat surfaces because the table was the other 1/2 of the mold... OR he can do a rough finish of that Mashie did on the other side by wiping the excess off.

Laying it over... I dunno. It might give the glossy surface or it might just goop and look awful. Gonna have to try each way and determine which is best for you.

Comment

Carbon Fiber Tutorial

I found a pretty good video on carbon fiber but it doesn't get into vacuum bagging or anything. It just talks about wet layup. But still not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-q91ywCrqQ

Comment

The only reason to use a vacuum setup is if your making body parts and you want the pieces strong AND LIGHT. Carbon fiber and fiberglass are light materials, resin is heavy. The point of the vacuum setup is to suck out all excess resin to produce a piece thats super storng and super light. Also its great for complex shapes...

You can cover pieces laying fiber on top of existing pieces without vacuuming. Take a look here:

Civic forum

A video How To

As a side note, the buffing compound give the best finish... in my opinion.

Comment

An overlay tutorial

There is a link to a tutorial on another website I frequent. What you want is called an overlay since you are laying carbon fiber over another part. I hope this helps

http://compositescentral.net/showthread.php?t=1294

Comment

Working...
                            X