Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with bubbles in the finish

Hey there

I have been using bondo to make my screen appear stock in my dash and it is looking sorta fine now, i used some spray varnish with less gloss than usual. even though i use grit 600 sanding paper i still get some bubbles (well holes is more precise), what could cause this ? is it the weather, it is quite humid here in denmark and i was thinking that it might have some say in the final finish ?

Jan
    Attached Files
    Not doing carpc anymore

How much hardener are you using? Too much maybe?
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Hmm, like it says on the box, about half an inch shorter lane of hardener as the putty.
      don't think thats it. And i only noticed it lately, usually its not a problem, but i thought as the weather has gotten increasingly hotter and more humid that it could make i difference.

Jan
      Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

spray it really far away... in a fine mist like 15" away. that helped me.
        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that
          Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

i think you will find it is air bubbles in the filler, and the way i over come these was to use a filler primer and then sand that filled in the tiny holes then did my top coat, hth.

Comment

are the holes in the paint or in the bondo? I've allways found that to get the best finish on bondo I needed to use a layer of spot putty. It's like bodno but premixed and much finer. Good for finish work. You may want to see about picking some up.

Comment

Originally posted by ste1806
                i think you will find it is air bubbles in the filler, and the way i over come these was to use a filler primer and then sand that filled in the tiny holes then did my top coat, hth.
                MAKE SURE ITS NOT LAQUER BASED! IT SCREWED ME OVER WHEN I PAINTED OVER IT. THE PAINT WONT STICK! ok no caps now, but seriously use "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter" over the bondo first so it'll stick and don't use any laquer based primer.

Originally posted by CFlux
                are the holes in the paint or in the bondo? I've allways found that to get the best finish on bondo I needed to use a layer of spot putty. It's like bodno but premixed and much finer. Good for finish work. You may want to see about picking some up.
                This is what I do, I agree 100% Its the Orange tube for bondo.
                CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Working...
                X