Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Fiberglass Project....have questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fiberglass Project....have questions...

Well,

I made the form for my sub box. Everything went fine.

Now I am building it up and finding that I am getting several air bubbles. Should I just leave them. They do NOT flex at all and are very solid, but you can tell it is a bubble.
    I don't care if it looks ugly as I am going to carpet it.

Another question is this..... I have done 5 layers already. The box only flexes on the ends where it is thinner (the ends that I will be cutting off)
    I have stood on it and it has not given in at all.

How many layers is enough? It is going to house a 10" sub.

Thanks for the advice.
    The future is not set. There is no fate but the one we make......S.C.

I did this as my first project as well. I'm finding out that because of the air bubbles, the back leaks a bit. Before you get too much farther, fill the thing up with water (make sure everything is completely set) and fill holes. I'd say 5-6 back layers should be fine. I think i had like 7 or something, and hey I'm pudge and it didn't flex.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

the air bubbles will make the enclosure more weak. if its just a single sub you might be ok..but if you have any leftover fiberglass resin you might as well use it...
      rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

yeah what pudge said about the leaking... also for future reference, smaller pieces of fiberglass matt help to reduce air bubbles. Those huge pieces you (or me at least...) use cause we're lazy are what get the air bubbles usually.

Oh and I'd say 6 layers.. 5 is probably enough, but just do 6.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
          I did this as my first project as well. I'm finding out that because of the air bubbles, the back leaks a bit. Before you get too much farther, fill the thing up with water (make sure everything is completely set) and fill holes. I'd say 5-6 back layers should be fine. I think i had like 7 or something, and hey I'm pudge and it didn't flex.
          So let me make sure I understand this.....fill the thing with water and see if any leaks out?

If yes....full in the holes obviously. If not...then I am ok?

I was thinking of doing another layer, which would make 6, then after it dries, drilling a small hole into the air bubbles and pouring resin (obviously mixed with hardener) into the pockets....that would fill them up.

Is that overkill?

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
            yeah what pudge said about the leaking... also for future reference, smaller pieces of fiberglass matt help to reduce air bubbles. Those huge pieces you (or me at least...) use cause we're lazy are what get the air bubbles usually.

Oh and I'd say 6 layers.. 5 is probably enough, but just do 6.

good luck.
            Yeah I realized that about the bigger pieces.......

Comment

Probably not overkill, go ahead and get your 6th layer on there before you test.
              My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
              2 Kicker Comp 10"
              Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
              Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
              Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
                Probably not overkill, go ahead and get your 6th layer on there before you test.
                Ok...sounds good. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Comment

some good info here http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
                  2003 PT Cruiser
                  Sony, DEI, Kicker, Polk Audio, Stinger sound system custom cold air intake, diamond plate floors, progress springs 2" drop
                  Freakville Pc's
                  The PT Crew
                  my cardomain page
                  my webshots page

Comment

Originally posted by JaxPt

That is what I have been using

Comment

I completed my first FG project about 2 weeks ago, I had a few air bubbles, What I did was wait for every thing to harden , drill a hole, or grind the top off of the bubble and fill it with resin, I know too much resin can make it weak, but it works. Also, I discovered that There are different weights of FG mat. Next time I'm using 6 oz instead of wal mart bondo mat that weighs in at a heafty 1/2 oz .
                      I used chris's web site alot, that guy is great

Comment

Where aer you going to get your mat next time? I have been getting mine at Home Depot along iwth my resin. Funny thing is they don't carry any extra hardener. Oh Well.

I am adding one more later then going to drill the small holes and fill in with some resin.

Then hopefully if the kids dont bug me too much, I wil be able to cut it to shape today.
                        I will post pics when I am done. Not that anyone here needs them

Comment

really? Both of my two local homdepots carry extra hardener.. just above the 1 gallon cans. If you really need hardener, see if you have another homdepot in the area, they may have it.

Comment

Well I live 20 miles form the nearest home depot. The next one that is close if over 35 miles away

UPDATE:

Well I drilled holes in the larger air pockets. What I did was the following:

I drilled all the holes first. Then I stuffed little pieces of mat in the holes with a small stick. Then I poured resin, then a bit more mat. I used that pattern until the whole was stuffed.

It only took a few min. The holes/air pockets are now the dark resin look that the rest of the box has.

I know that is not as good as originally doing it correctly.....but I am sure it is a step up from leaving the air pockets

Now I will wait about an hour, then fit it back in the car and mark the final shape. Then out comes the dremel!

Comment

Working...
                            X