Started Cutting today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started Cutting today.

So I started cutting my backup radio bezel today and I think I have a workable piece. I haven’t epoxyed it yet because I want to be sure I wont need to do any trimming to fit the circuit board in there.

Included are some pics I took.
    I ‘tacked’ the lilliput frame into place with box tape just to check alignment. I think I will leave certain areas ‘tacked’ with the boxed tape(was thinking maybe using zip ties but I think the tape works better) while I epoxy other areas in order to maintain the alignment. And after I epoxy little bits in every area I will remove the tape and then run a smooth seam of epoxy down….

I took two side pics to attempt to show ‘flushness’ and a back pic because the only thing that really concerns me is the two mounting brackets on the bottom of the console piece. I hope they don’t get in the way but I may have to trim them down a little.
    All feedback is welcome, thanks.
    Attached Files

*bump*

Comment

As long as you notch the backside of the lilliput case, those brackets shouldn't be in your way. As an alternative, you could just remove the button area of the lilliput and either relocate it (if you want the buttons) or just move the IR sensor and ditch the buttons.
      2004 4runner

Comment

What'd you use to chop it up with? Dremel?
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Update

Originally posted by ppgt94
          What'd you use to chop it up with? Dremel?
          Yes I used a dremel... I wish I wouldnt have though. Its so hard to control.

I have progressed further though. I finished sanding my second layer of duramix 4040... and began applying the pin hole filler duramix 4058.

The picture shows the 'seem' looks a little shiny and kinda rough. I think that has something to do with my flash. The whole piece is super smooth. The two black spots are where I was putting more of the finishing filler.

The whole thing feels super smooth but I have those two tough spots with pinholes. This weekend I will finish with the pinholes using some super fine grit paper and paint a guide coat on there.
          Other than that any suggestions?

Thanks for your time guys.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rando
            As long as you notch the backside of the lilliput case, those brackets shouldn't be in your way. As an alternative, you could just remove the button area of the lilliput and either relocate it (if you want the buttons) or just move the IR sensor and ditch the buttons.
            Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't planning on using the backside of the lilliput case, so if that is the only issue, I think I won't have a problem.
            Well aside from determining how I am going to secure the backside lilliput controller pcb to the secured LCD panel.

Comment

Originally posted by savante
              Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't planning on using the backside of the lilliput case, so if that is the only issue, I think I won't have a problem.
              Well aside from determining how I am going to secure the backside lilliput controller pcb to the secured LCD panel.
              Well that was my point, you won't have to worry about how to attach the controller pcb if you just reassemble the case. It looks like it will fit with just minor notching.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                Well that was my point, you won't have to worry about how to attach the controller pcb if you just reassemble the case. It looks like it will fit with just minor notching.
                I thought the case would introduce other hurdles. Like space issues and heat/air flow issues.
                Id rather just figure out the best way to secure the pcb. Probably with nylon standoffs or zip ties.... Ill have to do some trial and error.

Comment

Where did you buy duramix 4040?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDave01
                    Where did you buy duramix 4040?
                    I bought my Duramix 4040 and 4058 from an online company called Autobodysupply.net for $26 a piece and 12 mixing tips for $9... I made the gun myself from a walmart caulk gun that was like $3... and it really does work better than other caulk guns because it has completely open sides so its easy to get the duramix cartridge in there without cutting the cartridge.
                    Its hard to describe and I cant find any pictures of the gun online but if you want I can post a picture of mine when I get home later.

Comment

Hey... Looking good. Any updated pics? Just found this thread Savante

Keep up the good work and update us on your progress.

In my Cougar install i found it was the best scenero to leave the back of the lilliput intact. On my first lilliput screen i think leaving it exposed was part of the reasons i had problems with it. After time there was stress on the power connecter which broke off. Then i had to solder on the board and things just got banged around. With my second lilliput i was absolutly careful with it and left the backing on. Thusfar i have had no problems with it.

The other Lilliput Armen was able to save and fix for me (it would have been parted out or trashed) So now i have to working VGA touchscreens.

I havn't had any heat or air flow problems with my setup so you shouldn't either. email me if you need any further help or if you get stuck on something
                      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Antimatter.

Thanks for the heads up about the Lilliput case, you've already been way more than just helpful. I think if I do leave the back plate on I will remove the speaker and possibly put a fan there...
                        Or maybe Im just being paranoid.

I will most likely be in touch further for more pointers .
                        As for more pics, I took a few yesterday after the sanding and before the application of the pinhole filler. They are at home on the digital cam still. I can post some more later. Then a took a couple of pics after sanding the pinhole filler down and applying new coats.
                        The pic I posted had came from that batch. I did however forget to clean off the dash piece before taking the pic so all the sanded shavings are all over. And I dont know why the 'seam' shows up looking horrible in the pictures from the flash. In person it looks pretty good.
                        But I guess I'd rather trust the digital camera than my own eyes and just keep at it with the pinhole filler. I think 220 grit is still too coarse though for finishing the pinholes, the 4058 recommends I use 300+ so I will either have to find some 300+ grit paper for my mouse sander or do it by hand
                        Either way Im happy with the progress.

Comment

OK the first pic is going to be the bezel before the pinhole filler (duramix 4058) was used. The plastic was cleaned from the sanding but again no filler applied yet.

The second pic is for SuperDave01, it shows the modified caulk gun from wal mart with the duramix cartridge loaded in place.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks Great!!!

After you do a little bit more sanding and filling I would spray a quick light coat of primer on there to find the blemishes.

Otherwise it is comming along nicely.

The 300+ recomendation is acurate. I used 600 at the very end.
                            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Thanks antimatter.

I was thinking along the same lines... I bought some cheap black paint for a guide coat but I also bought two different color primers to alternate between layers as I read in one of the forums.
                              Does it matter which I use to bring out the blemishes?
                              I want to take my time filling the pinholes because I know if I dont get this part perfect, Im never going to be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X