Bondo question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bondo question.

Hey guys I started to intall my screen into my center cosole. I'm using the the glass reinforced bondo to make a frame for the screen. I made it yesterday and waited until today to continue work on it. When I went to begin sanding it, the bondo was still kind of sticky to the touch. Is it suppose to be this way or should it be hard and not sticky? I'm thinking I didn't add enough hardner. What do you guys think might be the problem? Should I wait longer until it is no longer sticky?
    Thanks for the help.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

More hardener. Regular Bondo should be dry within 5-10 min and workable in 15-20 depending on how much hardener you use. I have never worked with the glass bondo but i would assume that is similar
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Will the frame I have become non-sticky with more time or will I have to start over again?
      Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

My guess is you didn't mix enough hardener to begin with, it will harden but it will take more time than it would have normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
          Will the frame I have become non-sticky with more time or will I have to start over again?
          I used the regular bondo but Mine was tacky too(even after a day). Maybe I did it wrong but after sanding off the first tacky layer, it turned out fine. Granted, it might be due to dust adhering to the bondo.

Comment

What color should the bondo be after I have mixed the hardner into it?
            Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Yeah my guess is to wait.. At worst, it won't dry up, and you'll have to start over. At best, it'll become dry, and you'll be done with that layer.

Comment

I would be to immpatient and scrape the tacky stuff off. Bondo should dry quite quickly usually to quick. The color depends on the type of bondo
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

So I couldn't wait for it to dry any longer. I started to sand the frame and as I got the top layer off it wasn't tacky anymore.
                  Installed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

You guys don't heat cure it? Force it to dry faster by using a hair dryer or heat lamp...?

I know that's what we'd do if it was fiberglass that's not cured all the way yet.

Glad to hear you were able to sand off the tacky part.

Comment

I usually lay a bead of hardener the diameter of the blob of filler. Seems to work great for me.
                      G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Polyester resin will have a tacky surface unless you cover it with something to isolate it from the air as it cures. It may clog your paper at first but then it should sand fine once you get the tacky layer off. If you can sink a fingernail into it isn't cured though.
                        Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
                          What color should the bondo be after I have mixed the hardner into it?
                          depends on what type of bondo you use,, if you are using the fiberglass bondo(the stuff thats green to start with the red hardener,, it should be a redish green/brown almost,, i always add extra hardener to speed things up, the structural loss is very little with a little extra hardener.

If its normal bondo, the stuff thats white/gray it should be pink when mixed
                          Here are some shots of my ride, be sure to scroll all the way down:
                          http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674459

Comment

bondo chemically cures, thus the reason heat is given off while it is "drying". There are different colors of hardeners, the color I ended up using was blue, so my bondo come out a dark green color when it dried.

The Fiberglass bondo im currently playing with has always dried clear and within a half an hour. I can tell when its too cold in my garage because it will start to turn a greenish color. I think your best bet is going to be to wait for it to dry as much as possible before continuing... ive already ****ed up one mold from trying to push my project along, not gonna do it on my 2nd attempt...

Comment

Working...
                            X