Fiberglass Reshaped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Reshaped

Hey guys... I just finished faberglassing a section of my dash, then i took it out and it looked great... although a few sections i had only got one layer of glass applied and those sections were still a little tacky, but i didnt think it was going to affect much of anything

so i applied another layer of glass to the whole thing while it was just sitting on my garage floor, and after that layer was dry i went to make sure it still fit the dash correctly... it didnt

i have tried to use heavy objects and tape to hold the glass back into the correct position to hopefully reshape it, but it seems that isnt going to work

i need to know what the best way to get it back to its original shape would be... should i apply a new layer with the dash taped into its correct position, orwhat??

any help is greatly appreciated
    Debating on installing a carpc in my Jeep.....

You MAY be able to force it into reshaping but with this kind of stuff, your best bet is always to avoid it in the first place. When you mix a layer of resin too hot before you have a good, solid base, you risk the piece warping do to the fiberglass shrinking quickly... you may have a better chance if you go ahead and sand some of the layer(s) down that you have now... that will release some tension in that layer... and make it easier to reshape. THEN you should reinstall the piece and do as much of the fiberglass while firmly attached to the vehicle. Good luck!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

ok well it should really only be one layer that is causing the problem... because the other 2 layers were fine just not strong enough by themselves to hold their position to apply a 3rd layer

and ive narrowed the problem area down to a very small area, so i should be able to sand most of that layer off and then secure it back on the dash and reapply that layer?

Comment

That's what I would point to as well is the heat as it is hardening. Maybe try a little less hardener so it doesn't cure so quick. And yeah, try to do as much as you can with it installed in place.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

have any pics? could you drimmel with a cut off wheel to ease the tension and then put in the right place, apply resin to fill dremmel cut and then add new layer? You are going to put bondo over it as well right?
          I GIVE FREE HUGS!
          Buy Sell or Trade
          If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
          Thank you
          Forex
          Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

dremel could be a possibility... ill have pics posted tommorrow morning

ill try using the dremel as well as sanding some off tommorrow

also i was already using less hardener than was recommended, but the problem of the deformation was not applying enough full layers attached to the dash (my bad first time fiberglassing)

thanks for all the help guys, and like i said ill post pics tommorrow if that will help with solutions

Comment

did ya get it fixed?
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

well i did, but then it has reshaped again so now i just take the piece and bend it real hard in the direction it need to be bent to fix it, in hind site i shoulda put many more layers on

Comment

what type of fiber glass clother are you using?
                  I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                  Buy Sell or Trade
                  Thank you
                  Forex
                  Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

I used the cloth for that project, but i no longer use the cloth only mat

Comment

K i use cloth for the small stuff to shape. Like if i was to bend around corners. Then i use the mat for large stuff. If i was to patch a whole i would use cloth on the back side of the whole then inside the whole i would use cloth up untill the last few layers then i would use mat for sanding reasons.
                      I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                      Buy Sell or Trade
                      Thank you
                      Forex
                      Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

well..... through this whole thing i learned one hard lesson... never put too little fiberglass on something you wouldnt want losing it's shape

yes, so the fiberglass lost its shape again, and this time too much to correct... im gonna have to trash it and start over.

thanks everyone for the help though

Comment

Working...
                        X