2003 Custom In-Dash 7" Touchscreen Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Custom In-Dash 7" Touchscreen Install

I can't even tell you how many hours of prep, molding, bondo, sanding, painting, etc it took - but I am pleased with the final results! What do you think?

This is the first time I have worked with plastic and bondo!
    2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
    STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

niiice work man.. do you have any other pics(angles)?
    Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
    Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
    S2000 Carputer

Comment

Looks great, planning on doing the same thing in my 2000 Silverado. Hope mine turns out as well.

Comment

looks really nice...but the screen looks crooked in that picture - is it just the angle of the picture/dash?
        2001 Isuzu Rodeo CarPC

Comment

Hey All - thanks for all your input! the screen actually isn't crooked in the car - must be the angle of the photo. I have another bezel that I am probably going to install an 8" touchscreen in - but who knows! I'll work on getting the other photos scanned!
          2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
          STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Comment

Where did you stuff your PC? I was thinking of putting mine in the console behind where you have your LCD. (haven't pulled my truck apart yet)
            www.carolinacarclubs.com

Comment

Post a better picture. Honestly from that picture i would say that it still needs some work although i am a perfectionist.

I actually really need to finish mine.

Good work overall, post a better picture so we can comment more
              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

hey antimatter - it still needs work! I am actually thinking about rebuilding it entirely since I have had the experience of building this one, I know what not to do! The PC is in the back of the Tahoe. I have it mounted right behind the seats. All of my amps rest under the rear seats, so it is quick access to get it all hooked up. Ever since I sent the volume control through my head unit, there is a ton of new things I want/need to do. After I do my new rebuild, I'll post my photos.
                2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

You using the factory headunit? Also - hows the visibility to the screen in that location. I'm kinda worried about glare...
                  www.carolinacarclubs.com

Comment

glare is a bit of an issue - but honestly - I really don't look at it. I use the screen to load a list and then listen. If I choose to click next, stop, whatever - The screen becomes like a second headunit - you memorize where to click. Most of my driving is done at night anyways.

Yes - I am using the head unit. It controls - radio, volume and 6 disk cd changer - as well carputer volume. That sends a signal to the main amp which powers the front and rear speakers and passes the low signal to the subs. I am in the works to build a new system which will include 2-12" JL Audio W6 subs, 2 500.1 sub amps and 1 300/4 amp. The speakers in the doors are mb quartz right now - but I'll probably change those too.
                    2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

Comment

One more question, then I'll leave ya alone ('till I think of another one)...

Which product are you using to interface to the headunit? I've seen several out there that work with the factory in-dash changer...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

btw - I've been thinking of using the PXGM24, because I've seen other people have some success with it, but HU has XM as well. Don't know if that makes a diff.
                      www.carolinacarclubs.com

Comment

looks good. take a look at mine. i actually originally put my screen below also but after some time using it decided it was a big pain in the a$$ trying to look down all the time. that and its really unsafe to have it that low.
                        http://www.threez33.com/Carputer/index.htm
                        2003 Tahoe
                        lilliput 7"
                        Logic C158 mini-ITX
                        90w m1-atx power
                        Epia MII 12000 1.2ghz
                        512MB PC2100
                        2.5" 60gb Samsung 5400rpm
                        Panasonic Slot CD-rw/DVD
                        iguidance navi
                        navivoice
                        mediaengine