The Fabrication Has Started On My Zpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fabrication Has Started On My Zpc

Ok I started my new carpc or in this case a ZPC. This is my car the car I'm putting it in to put it in.

This is where the idea for my enclosure came from.
    http://upload.nowherenews.com/img/1344DSC01596.jpg

This guy made a huge speaker enclosure. Mine is going to only occupy the space under the rear strut tower brace. The other thing I plan on is a big Z sign on the front of the box which is going to be a window looking in at all the components. The inside will be painted white with a black light to illuminate the interior.

Now the first thing is how I mount the desktop MB in a wood box. So I took the whole computer case apart till I was left with just the metal plate that the MB was attached to and as you can see in this bad illustration. Then I folded it so it would hold the MB at the angle I needed it to be at.

As for the the HD and CDROM I used the cage from the case to hold and mount those. Unfortunately Iíll have to re do this because itís a little off.

The last thing I have to do is construct a way to hold the PCI and AGP cards in place so they donít flop around.

Here are 2 more pics of the whole thing with the front in place. Not to much room in there

Considering this is the first fabrication job I have ever done please post comments and sugjestions on where to go from here.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring
    CarPC in the works Now Its done

Oh one other thing is all the dvd functions will not be done by the cdrom in the case I will be mounting another dvd drive in another locatin in the car.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

you might want to mount you HDD Vertical. but other then that nice work

Comment

The size and weight of that heat sync and fan might cause problems with the sideways mount. Vibration might knock it loose from the chip because of it's weight. Looks good though and great attention to detail. I like it when folks plan and put detail into their projects.

Comment

OK So HDD vertical and the heat sink is to big.
          That heat sink is actualy smaller than the other one I have for my another P4. If I find one that is smaller you don't think there might be a heat problem?

Thanks Its been in the planning for a wile.
          2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

Hey man looks good so far..

Did you see my ZPC

I didn't ending up building a box, I just stuffed everything into one of the small "mailslot" compartments behind the passenger seat.

What kind of power supply are you going to be using?

Judging from your license plate frame, I think you are local to me too..

--mike
            CarPC

Comment

Looks similar to a system I built for a Z. Nice work how are you planning to finish the enclosure?
              Fabricator

Comment

That is sweet.
                Yes you live in MA I live in RI. I work on the cape.
                God I wish I had your cash dude, hell I havent even bought the screen yet. All the parts you see I had lying around my house.
                2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

altimat I was probibly going to do carpet. I don't have your skills man
                  2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

Originally posted by zmann
                    I don't have your skills man
                    Sure looks like you do to me. I may have more experience, but this stuff isn't rocket science, you just do it and learn as you go. You're doing a great job keep it up!

And I wouldn't worry about the heat sink falling off that seems unlikely.
                    Fabricator

Comment

well Thank you altimat. So what would you do if it was your project?
                      2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Altimat
                        And I wouldn't worry about the heat sink falling off that seems unlikely
                        Shock and vibration can cause stress fractures where the heat sync mounts...again...if the hs is a hefty booger. I've seen this happen with regular pc towers and no shock or vibration due to hot chips weakening the board.

Comment

might consider a sturdier wood like MDF or a solid particleboard over plywood.

Comment

I picked the wood due to the weight. I know its not a big difference but MDF is 2 times the weight. Plus the place the box is going the structure of the car ads strength to the box. Not to mention if altimat keeps boosting my ego I may end up fiber glassing the whole thing and spraying it body color.

I have already started thinking of ways to strengthen the sink mount.

Altimat what do I need to do to consider FG this thing.
                            2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

Comment

Radius the corners first. You need a layer of fiberglass mat over the exposed surface you want to paint. I recommend a repair kit with a quart of resin, hardener, and some mat. Then follow with a skim coat of filler, and primer until smooth. Pay someone to spray it, and maybe prime it too.
                              Fabricator

Comment

Working...
                              X