1st try: Housing for a bare LCD, Question for you Glassers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st try: Housing for a bare LCD, Question for you Glassers

Well, I'm mounting my Allbrite externally, and it's a bare LCD for those who are un-familiar. One of my problems is that the case can only be 7 1/2" tall, and the screen is only 7 1/4" tall :-(.

Here are some pictures of my first try, i'm not completely satisfied, but it turned out better than i thought it would.

I went to home depot and got some 24 Gauge black sheet aluminum, and went to town with a Dremel. I'm trying to avoid sharp edges, but i still have all 4 corners sharp enough to peirce skin if the thing breaks loose. I don't think i made it deep enough either, but the sheet metal was only 12" wide so i was limited as to what i could do, and i'd rather use black than your typical metal silver color. If i do go the sheet metal route, I'll use a peice of 16 gague steel as the backing plate, and cover it with another peice of black aluminum.

To those fiber glassers out there, would i be able to use this as a template to make something out of fiber glass?

EDIT: just measured, it's a fraction of an inch to tall, and i forgot to make it wide enough for my buttons... *sighs*
    Attached Files

Looks ok just need to get straighter cuts. If thats the size you want it you could put fiber over and then straighten out the edges with some sanding.
    Starting new project. After some jackass broke in and stole my screen.

Comment

when you say put fiber glass over it, would that be using this as a mold, or would the glsss bondto the metal?

Comment

what on earth u cut that with?
        View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

im going to try using a 1" thick pice of MDF to bolt my 10.4" screen to, and just mount video controller and inverter to back of it, should be simple
          01 blazer, LS1 engine, TR 220/220 cam, vig 3200 stall, 5.3 stage 1.5 ported heads, titanium retainers, APR harden push rods, dual X magnaflow 2.5's

Interior: AutoMeter ultra lite's, panasonic cq8100u, kicker 8" L7's, kenwood 800 amp, PS/2,

Comment

Yeah, i did it with a dremel. I'm considering giving glassing a try, what I have is almost the exact dimesions i want, i want it about 1/4" larger on the lenght, and 1/8" shorter on the width... it's just a bit rough around the edges

I was thinking of mounting it to just a chunk of wood, but I want something that looks good (no offense to your plan), and i'm aware that what i did doens't quite look great either. What i'm doing is, taking out my radio, in the pod i'm going to mount some ball bearing drawer rails so that the screen will slide out, then attach the rails to hinges, which attach to a backing plate, so that it 'pop up'. now the screen is oriented in portrait mode and i want landscape, so I put an axel through the backing plate and attach it to the case i will have made for the display that allows the screen to rotate from portrait to landscape. and when the screen is fully retracted i will take the faceplate from my radio and use it to cover up the hole for a stealh setup.

Comment

well here is a pic of what i had done, i could go as big as 12" open case but dont want that i had cut up the dash trimming to much so now im going to get another one, my opening will be 7 3/4" and my screen is also 7 3/4" so there want be any MDF showing, iv done away wiht that datalux, and am going to order a Xenarc 10.4, witch brings to me a question why is the touch screen Xenarc 10.4 only 150 nits bright? and the one wiht the tv tuner is 500 nits? oh well ill just the the tv tuner one and add a ts to it
              Attached Files
              01 blazer, LS1 engine, TR 220/220 cam, vig 3200 stall, 5.3 stage 1.5 ported heads, titanium retainers, APR harden push rods, dual X magnaflow 2.5's

Interior: AutoMeter ultra lite's, panasonic cq8100u, kicker 8" L7's, kenwood 800 amp, PS/2,

Comment

not bad, when you said MDF, i thought you meant it would be showing, lol, maybee mounted to some kind of gooseneck out of your cupholder . Thats actually looking pretty good. If i wanted to i could make my screen fit in my car, but i want to avoid cutting the dash as I hope to sell it by next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by anaxagoras
                  when you say put fiber glass over it, would that be using this as a mold, or would the glsss bondto the metal?
                  Nope, it won't bond to the metal.
                  But fiberglass doesn't like to bend around sharp corners, so you should try to tape down the ends. When working with wood, I just staple it to the wood.
                  Good luck.

Comment

why build a case for LCD if you can flash mount it to the dashboard (lets be honest...you can find dashboard replacement at junkyard for much less than your 'new' frame will cost to fabricate)
                    Allbrite screen has frame that you could use (at least i did),
                    and here's what i made so far

Allbrite of course w/ touchscreen from DWW
                    Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
                    My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

that's pretty nice as well, both of you guys have a lot more dash space than me too though. I have seen some 10.4" screens mounted to the same make/model car as mine and have not seen too many setups that i'm thrilled with. I only saw one, that i really liked, a few months ago on a mustang forum and it was some guy who paid a bunch to have it done professionally.

I'm gonna work on glassing this thing and see how it goes. If anyone has any tips that would be great. right now i'm thinking of either trying to use that frame, but it's unfortunatly not very straight. Or just doing something with wood as a template cover it with something the glass won't bond to and go from there, maybe tin foil? or plastic wrap? (the glass might bond to the plastic wrap, but the plastic wrap should at least lift off from the wood).

Comment

I"m a little confused about how to start making a frame with glass, most of things i have seen are on top of something, but i'll be maing a small frame. Would i still want to use that fiberglass cloth? 2 of my sides can only be 1/8" thick and have to meet up with the display exactly right.

Comment

I hate to say it but that looks like poop dude. Why don't you try going to an art / craft store and use picture framing. They come in both wood and metals with an array of colors. look what this guy did in his Infiniti:
                          http://www.neuralcollapse.com/info/P...een_in_G35.doc

also, I've used this material that you can buy at hardware stores (I bought mine at Orchard Supply) that looks like a square "U" and comes in different widths and lengths. This would be more useful if you find that the picture frames bulge out too much.

Comment

no offense taken, I know it does, which is why i want to do something with fiberglass instead... I didn't cut it straight and when i bent the edges the whole thing bent along with it.

This guy's writeup doens't look to bad, but i want to be able to mount the LCD controller,touch screen controler and inverter all in the case otherwise i'm going to have to extend 2 ribbon cables and 4 power lines which I'd rather not do as they are just more wires that can eventually break from constant use. If i mount everything inside, then i have one power line, one vga cable, and one usb cable to worry about. All heavier gauge wires as well, so hopefully less prone to breakage.

I really don't have a clue where to begin with glassing. But if doing something with glass is possible and someone can tell me where to begin I'll learn.

Comment

Working...
                            X