Quick Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Help!

Hey all, I got a quick question. I've got an 04' tacoma and I'm fully integrating the touch screen into the dash. I went out and baught a seperate radio bezel so I can cut it up.

I've been reading all the articles on how to bondo/fiberglass the screen and I think I'm confident with that, my question is this:

What should I use to cut the plastic around the bezel ? I was thinking a hand Dremel, but the plastic is pretty thick any sugestions would be great thanks guys !
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

I think you would be able to use a dremel to cut through the plastic easily. I myself uses a blade from a hand saw and cut mine manually, but the plastic on my casing was not too thick. Oh, and with the dremel you will have to me careful with burning the plastic, I've burned wood with that thing.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I used a simple cutoff wheel.... just a bit that goes on to your drill and you put a cutoff wheel on it.... you'll go through a lot of them but it gets the job done well.. you can see how mine came out in my Project CompuMach thread
      2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
      Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
      Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

dremel and quattro is right dremel will melt plastic so watch out for that.
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by samc
          dremel and quattro is right dremel will melt plastic so watch out for that.
          Dremels have adjustable speed. Slow it down when cutting plastic. It will help prevent burning, as well as make the cutting wheels last longer.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Dremel is a neccesity in life.
            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

a Jig saw is just as good... and much easier in my opinoin.

Comment

Dremel = knife through butter. I'd suggest trying it on a CD jewel case or a floppy and try to cut a straight line without melting it. Take the CD out first, though.

Comment

Quick Help

Thanks for the input guys, I'm probably going to have to go out and buy a dremel, but it seems to be the way to go.
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

All this talk about Dremel is making wonder if my Dremel is feeling lonely, there...at home... all by itself...

I think I'll go buy a new attachment for it today and make it feel better

As for the plastic... I just got through using my Dremel to convert a 30" aquarium hood to a 24" <evil grin> I had a lot of fun with that project <g>

The plastic melted, flew and there was a smell in the air... I love the smell of burning plastic in the afternoon... smeels like... testosterone
                    Mind Scream out

Comment

mmmm burning plastic. ROFL. Ah luv mah Dremel...

The little melted stuff just breaks off and you sand it a little. No problem.

Comment

hmm

Ok, if I use a dremel will I turn out to be as weird as you guys ?? It sounds like you have inhaled way too much of that burning plastic...

Again thanks for the great suggestions and I'm going to try and post pics of my dash as I build it.
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Originally posted by pyros
                          I used a simple cutoff wheel.... just a bit that goes on to your drill and you put a cutoff wheel on it.... you'll go through a lot of them but it gets the job done well.. you can see how mine came out in my Project CompuMach thread
                          Get one of these and never buy another cutoff wheel
                          Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

Working...
                          X