No announcement yet.

How can I make my install look better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make my install look better?

Here is my screen job... I'd like to make it look more factory but don't know where to begin or how much work it would be...

If someone could just throw out a few tips I'd greatly appreciate it..

Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

I would suggest getting some bondo (from autozone/home depot), and flush fill the sides of the lilliput to stream together with the dash. The bottom where it meets your AC controls, I'm not sure(you gatta do some artwork there), You can use bondo to make them look joint together.
    Also realize that when you do this the front of the lilliput is fixed to the panel. So you would have to take the front cover off the screen, and remove the panel itself to do this work. When you are done, join in the other half of the lilliput from the back of the panel. The sticky in the fabrication thread shows how to do this. You do not need the foam(in his example).
    MY CAR PROFILE (@HONDA SHOWOFF)

Comment

ya bondo. fiberglass... lots of sandpaper... and time
      When in doubt, moo at things.

Comment

Cut the bottom of the lilli off! The whole button panel must go. Relocate the button panel behind the lilli and relocate the ir receiver. Unsolder the IR receiver from the panel and use wire to connect it back to the panel. That way you can put the IR receiver any where you like. Mold it in the dash or simply put it behind the vents. Kitty hair/bondo the bottonm to mold it in, and bondo the sides.
        My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

forgive me i'm bored

forgive me i'm bored...lol
            Attached Files

Comment

that photoshop gives you a good idea of what to shoot for, but I liked your install anyways...just needs some finishing touches
              http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/170000-170999/170063_221.jpg

Comment

I have the same problem with the future insall of a lilliput into my Yellow Ranger Edge. I was thinking that maybe i would cut some of the bezel under the AC vents and move it up a little bit. The biggest problem is how to access the lilliput after bondo. The bezel is 3 ish inches deep. Guess you could really murder the thing and disect it. Most of us Ranger people have a few of the bezels laying around.

Comment

If you haven't already, you could probably remove the screw holes behind the lilliput buttons. I think the bezel should hold in there on its own. this would allow you to bond the whole bottom in. I myself am trying to decide on whether to put the computer in the dash where the 2 din cd player goes, or to do what you did and install it in an explorer console. If i can find one of those at the junk yard.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas everyone... Snmnetwork.. Thanks for the pictures.. That definately helps for a visual. I'm a little hesitant with taking apart my Lilli. All the threads of people having problems and mine works 100%. I would be afraid to jack it all up..

How touchy is it? That photoshop looks sweet w/ your makeshift bondo

Comment

Originally posted by snmnetwork
                      Cut the bottom of the lilli off! The whole button panel must go. Relocate the button panel behind the lilli and relocate the ir receiver. Unsolder the IR receiver from the panel and use wire to connect it back to the panel. That way you can put the IR receiver any where you like. Mold it in the dash or simply put it behind the vents. Kitty hair/bondo the bottonm to mold it in, and bondo the sides.
                      So if I did this I would have to use the remote to turn on the Lilli everytime? The way it is now is I have to hit the power button everytime.

Comment

no leave it on and let it stay in standby, it won't drain your battery unless you leave it in "standby" (where you don't actually turn it off, it just turns itself off kind of) for like 3 or 4 days
                        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

I have it running off my PSU in my PC which is powered from my ITPS so power gets totally cut from it...

Comment

oh, didn't think about that, i don't use an ITPS. wellll in that case... just solder up a little momentary switch to the two solder points where the button is on the little board that holds your buttons and lights. i don' t know if you've opened up your screen and seen that but its very easy to solder onto. thats what i just did for a friends truckpc last night.
                            CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Ok.. I just picked up some Bondo Home Solutions All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin and some Fiberglass Cloths from home depot.

I really want to do this.. In regards to the Lilli. How fragile is it taking it apart.. I'm just VERY nervous about it getting jacked up (for obvious reasons with it being the most expensive part of the install).

Also, could someone give me a detailed step by step of what you would do if you were me?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X