Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latex Moulds?

Hi all,

I've managed to modified the center console of my dashboard to make room for my Gain display (http://www.pyroport.com/carputer/images/dashmod/). I've made a latex mould of it no probs.

I'm just a little concerned about whether I can get away with fibreglassing the inside of this mould? Will this work? How easy will it be to remove the latex mould?

Thanks
    Tony P
    My Carputer Project

Im having trouble figuring out which part is the mold. Is it the white stuff? Anyway, im not certain how the resin will react with the latex. I think latex is a plastic polymer of some sort. So I think it would be ok. Your best bet is make a test piece and throw some resin on it. If the latex reacts with the resin. I would suggest coating it with some spray on wax or lining it with tin foil. Good luck!

Comment

You'll melt the latex, I'm pretty sure. Why don't you use fibreglass to make your mould? It'll be a bit more work, but it's ultra-rigid and better for defining forms. If you're unsure about using fibreglass, you could use plaster for the mould then fibreglass for the final cast
      In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")
      Bunny's first poo
      __ U

Comment

You're kidding right?

I spent a week making this latex mould!

I thought latex would be OK, as people wear latex gloves with fibreglass/resin all the time?

Tred: Sorry, those pics show the dashboard part, not the mould. The white areas in those pics are milliput I used to fill the gaps.
        Tony P
        My Carputer Project

Comment

you ask for help/opinions then argue the responses?

read this slowly:
          It'll be a bit more work, but it's ultra-rigid and better for defining forms.
          •Micke

Comment

From my knowledge I think latex is pretty flexible. So even if you do spray on some wax it might be hard to fiberglass over it. You could always use some plaster to make a mold of your latex mold. Plaster curing time is pretty quick and it wont react with the latex nor Fiberglass resin.

Comment

Originally posted by grepzen
              you ask for help/opinions then argue the responses?

read this slowly:
              i dont think hes arguing man. just venting his frustration.

I think it will turn out ok in the end.

Comment

No, I asked if it was possible to fibreglass the inside of a latex mould that I have made from the modified dashboard section.
                Tony P
                My Carputer Project

Comment

Originally posted by Tred
                  From my knowledge I think latex is pretty flexible. So even if you do spray on some wax it might be hard to fiberglass over it. You could always use some plaster to make a mold of your latex mold. Plaster curing time is pretty quick and it wont react with the latex nor Fiberglass resin.
                  I was hoping that I could apply a layer of resin/hardener on its own bit by bit to give the rigidness required to then apply the fibreglass.
                  Tony P
                  My Carputer Project

Comment

Ok, I think I might've misunderstood the latex bit. I can tell you that I have used SILICON moulds before (not cheap) and used a quick casting two-part resin to make some small model parts at uni.
                    Looking at your pics, it's hard to imagine what you're trying to do. Are you making the original form in filler/glassfibre then taking a mould to create a single final cast devoid of heavy filler?
                    Isn't latex porous? I'm not sure about latex gloves, but I'm sure they're not simply made of just latex.
                    In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")
                    Bunny's first poo
                    __ U

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti
                      Ok, I think I might've misunderstood the latex bit. I can tell you that I have used SILICON moulds before (not cheap) and used a quick casting two-part resin to make some small model parts at uni.
                      Looking at your pics, it's hard to imagine what you're trying to do. Are you making the original form in filler/glassfibre then taking a mould to create a single final cast devoid of heavy filler?
                      Isn't latex porous? I'm not sure about latex gloves, but I'm sure they're not simply made of just latex.
                      That's what I'm thinking, the latex would absorb the resin.
                      It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti
                        I have the modified dashboard piece shown in those pictures, which I have made a latex mould from.

The aim is to create a fibreglass version of the plastic dash piece from the pictures to make it easier to fill the void (See the last picture) between the bottom of the LCD display and the dash. E.g. Moulding in the LCD.

The mould appears glossy on the outside, but the surface that was in contact with the plastic does appear "spongy" for lack of a better word. Would applying a layer of wax / vaseline prior to the application of the resin/hardener work?

I am not worried about the mould surviving the process as this is a one off, I can always cut the latex away and sand any resin soaked parts away after I have a few layers of the fibreglass built up.
                        Tony P
                        My Carputer Project

Comment

To FG into a latex mould, I would first spray in some PVA (can't recall the full name of it but basically it is liquid vinyl)... which can be bought at a fiberglass supply shop. Then mix up some gel coat (the same color that you want your final piece) and if possible SPRAy it in (spraying will reduce the amount you affect the PVA coating)... if spraying is not possible, just carefully brush it in. Then once the gel coat is cured, carefully brush in some polyester resin and lay kitty-hair (basically just shredded fiberglass matte) or torn and shredded matte. Let the first layer of resin and fiberglass cure. Then lay another small layer or two depending on how rigid you want it. Once you are done laying up the FG, simply peel the latex mould off... this is actually a relatively common way of making molds for low numbers of production pieces. I used to make tweeter pods for the fourth-gen F-body from these types of molds. It works pretty well. Once you have removed your part from the mold you can sand the gel coat smooth if you have any fine imperfections, sand with a fine grit and actually polish it to a high gloss. No painting required. Hope that helps.

TTYL!
                          Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

Thanks Coachreed, that's precisely the info that I was after
                            Tony P
                            My Carputer Project

Comment

So if this is a soft flexable form, what makes it keep its shape? Did you put plaster over the latex or something?
                              It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X