Honda OEM Din Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda OEM Din Case

I had a spare honda tape din sized unit from my prelude. I took it apart and wanted to use it for my project somehow. After checking out the mesurements for a few Mini-ITX boards and the unit, it would be possible to mount the board inside the unit, with exception of a power supply. It would be din sized and if you could use a add on OEM Cd player, you could even mount a slim line cd-rom, and get a realistic OEM Look.I don't currently have a board, but the dimmensions I found were 17cmX17Cm, about 6.7in. This unit is about 7.8inX6.8in roughly.I'll try and upload some pictures so everyone can see what I am talking about. These units are pretty cheep off of e-bay, or a local salvage yard.
    A Nano Itx board would work even better.
    http://www.geocities.com/dingofarmer/prelude.html

That is a cool idea and alot cheaper than the Casetronics. I was thinking the same thing, but the old stereos that I had did not seem to be the right fit for the EPIA. The door for the tape could be useful for something like a removable cf or to hide USB ports. It would also appear to be just a OEM tape deck to a thief - which makes it pretty safe.
    "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
    http://www.eff.org/

Comment

Yeah, You could cut out some metal on the rear of the case for all the periphrials, you could even use the button on from to power up the board. I wish I had a board to try it out. only drawback is that you would have to attach the power supply to the back of the case. The case tronics looks nice, but a little to pricy. I'll try and get more pictures uploaded of the case. Most honda units are the same size as I stated. You could allways extend the face a bit to fit the board. Im running a 2.0Ghz laptop right now, but I'd love to eventialy make a din unit. The nano boards that are coming out would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by dingofarmer
        I had a spare honda tape din sized unit from my prelude. I took it apart and wanted to use it for my project somehow. After checking out the mesurements for a few Mini-ITX boards and the unit, it would be possible to mount the board inside the unit, with exception of a power supply. It would be din sized and if you could use a add on OEM Cd player, you could even mount a slim line cd-rom, and get a realistic OEM Look.I don't currently have a board, but the dimmensions I found were 17cmX17Cm, about 6.7in. This unit is about 7.8inX6.8in roughly.I'll try and upload some pictures so everyone can see what I am talking about. These units are pretty cheep off of e-bay, or a local salvage yard.
        A Nano Itx board would work even better.
        Good luck, can't wait to see it finnished... don't forget lots of pictures for your site as people like VIA may be intrested in seeing how you did it...

Terran
        My Project Site

Comment

Thanks,
          I just updated my site a bit, more pictures on the update link. Has anyone else tried this?

http://indashpc.org/pdf/bottom.pdf
          Can use this for cut outs for the rear panal of the din deck

I will definitly post pics.

Comment

I would love to see some pics. Nice idea you got going there. I think me and you have the same carputer setup except mine has a little more Bondo.

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~krasicki/dave%20002.jpg

Comment

Superdave,

Yeah, I think so to, but your dash looks tight. Are you running a desk top? I'll upload some more pics, go to the updated site link to see more. I'm tring to install the lilipuput without using Bonda. Thinking about using sheet styrine shims or balsa wood.

http://www.geocities.com/dingofarmer/prelude2.html

did you tint your windows? I'm getting horrible glare problems in the morning and afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsnet
                Good luck, can't wait to see it finnished... don't forget lots of pictures for your site as people like VIA may be intrested in seeing how you did it...

Terran

Very nice setup, it is one of the first ones that I saw that got me interested.

Comment

Very nice setup, it is one of the first ones that I saw that got me interested.
                  Cheers, v3 is currently been planned so stay tunned

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

I'm running a EPIA board.. here are my specs:

-Epia Mini-ITX M10000 Mainboard
                    -512 MB DDR 2600 RAM
                    -30 Gig Western Digital Harddrive
                    -7" inch Lilliput touchscreen monitor
                    -Delorme USB GPS w/Map Point 2004
                    -90 watt OPUS Power Supply
                    -Sound Blaster MP3+ USB sound card
                    -Internet Capability w/cell phone
                    -Audiobanh 4 Channel amp, 75 watt x 4 RMS

My windows are not tinted at all. I also get glare during the daytime, but I guess I've gotten used to it.

Superdave,

Yeah, I think so to, but your dash looks tight. Are you running a desk top? I'll upload some more pics, go to the updated site link to see more. I'm tring to install the lilipuput without using Bonda. Thinking about using sheet styrine shims or balsa wood.

http://www.geocities.com/dingofarmer/prelude2.html

did you tint your windows? I'm getting horrible glare problems in the morning and afternoon.

Comment

Dave,

How do you like the delome GPS? Did you hook your lili up directly to the car? I'm thinking of doing it that way, I'm tired of having it plugged into the cigarette lighter. I am getting some wine, makes the car sound like it has a turbo, when it is plugged in. Some reason, my cigarette plugin is causing the wine, tried some other devices and still got the sound?

John

Comment

Dave,

How do you like the delome GPS? Did you hook your lili up directly to the car? I'm thinking of doing it that way, I'm tired of having it plugged into the cigarette lighter. I am getting some wine, makes the car sound like it has a turbo, when it is plugged in. Some reason, my cigarette plugin is causing the wine, tried some other devices and still got the sound?

John
                        The delorme GPS is not bad for the price, in my opinion. People claim that it is terrible, but for only $120 with software, you really cant go wrong. I would recommend it, but if you are thinking about using GPS frequently and seriously, I would suggest looking at other options. I use GPS once in a while, mainly to show it off ( ) and thats about it.

As far as the lilliput, I connected it to my opus power supply. From what I've read, the brightness of the lilliput screen is affected if you hook it up to the cigarette lighter, so I use the opus just to be safe.

I get the same whine as you do when my carputer is running. I'm pretty sure that's the alternator trying to compensate for the extra load. I run the 90W opus, a radar detector through the cigarette lighter, and a 75W x 4 amp all at the same time, and I get the whine, but when everything was removed (for the winter) the whine was gone. So far I've had my carputer in my car for about 6 months, and the battery has been charging correctly, and no problems with the alternator. I guess time will tell if there is any damage happening, but from I've experienced, nothing is wrong. If you are really worried, try talking to a sound shop and see what they say, then make sure you report back to us with the news .

Comment

the "whine" could be a ground issue, are you using a single grounding point? Search around the forum for lilliput and grounding and you should come up with an answer to your whine!
                          [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

Project all started when my wife woke me up and asked me to come outside and look at my car,,Glass everywhere and my DSP and Premire deck were violently riped out. They then stole my SUb riped apart my floor in the trunk and stole a book of software, but left my two v-12 amps,wallet with all my military ID cards, Weapons cards, and line badges, thank God, My xm unit and all my infinity kappa's, mp3 player and 100 music cds were spared. Got my settlement from State Farm and so began Carputer, as my wife calls it.

Well originaly before the Panasonic cy-ac300 hidaway unit, I had my laptop connected to my RCA--->alpine's, GETTO SETUP,and I hooked the remote from the amps to my Aux wire so they would power up without the headunit, got the wine real bad, bought a noise isolator,,basicly, a cap, transformer thingy, pos ground. worked great, then I installed the AC300, It had a remote wire so it took care of the start up thump and so many other things, without needed a dedicated head unit. Well I installed the lili, and got the wine back. I can literaly be driving and hearing the wine and simply unplug the cigarette adapter, presto no wine, just clear beautiful digital sound, plug it back in and now I have a turbo in my car, j/k, its that bad at night. I hooked up my inverter to the port and I get the same thing, it could be because My hidaway unit is right where the old radios, used to be , see the pics on my website, there could be some interfearance that way possibly. I'm going to hard wire it and re-use that noise isolator kit if need be, had one of my A/V buddys check it out and we pretty much came up with the same conclusion, took it too car toys and they were dumbfounded, couldn't believe that I only spend a couple of hundered. They were no help however.

Dave, I have noticed a little more load on the charging system also, nothing to bad however, I am unconfortable with having a 350W inverter 0-30 amps, two V-12's 0- 70 amps, Lili 0-1 amp, panasonic unit 0-5 amps. Are you using the stock battery? I'd like to get an optima soo.

I printed out an mini-itx board and placed it in the OEM deck, it fit, but it will only be large enough for the board, slim dvd, laptop drive, and maybe an internal sound card, but that is pushing it.

Sorry for the long thread!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X