This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Install Large Headrest Monitors

I know this isn't a typical part of the CarPC installation, but surely some of you are like me and never get enough of this stuff. And of course these can always be used to explain the purpose of that DVD player in the dash.

I used TView 6.5" TFT Headrest Monitors from Ebay. I wanted some that were all black, and I already have a TView DVD that works well for me so I tried TView again and am very happy with the screens too. The seller was CMTTrading/JudysDeals and I believe I paid about $125 each. Don't waste your time with non-TFT screens - these look awesome!!

These are 2002 Altima headrests, but a similar process could be used for any headrest screen that is too big for the headrest foam you're installing it into!

Remove your headrests and the covers. Construct a balsawood frame for your headrest shrounds. I used 1/4" x 3/4" strips of balsa cut and glued 2 layers thick to allow for a radius beyond the edges of the shroud. Use medium CA, and stagger the corners for strength. I angled the bottom edge to make space for the seam in the upholstery and to better align with the bottom of the headrest:

Trace your frame on the back of the headrest, and cut away foam down to the tubing, and until the headrest fits just even at the bottom. Remove some additional foam in the center for airspace and wire space. Add a piece of 3/16" hobby plywood just wider than the tubes wedged and glued underneath to later screw your shroud into. Drill a hole into each tube to fish your wires through:

Sand some nice radiuses on your frame, and glue it in square. I used hot melt to glue everything in the headrest:

Align the bottom of your frame with the bottom of the headrest. Note the amount of foam that needs to be added in the top corners. I stuffed these after upholstering. I also added a shim of balsa to the bottom of each frame between the frame and the tubes for added stiffness:

The next step is tough. Pull the upholstery back over your headrest. This will take patience and time, but once you get it started it goes fairly quickly the rest of the way. I recommend another set of hands. Make sure that your frame is well constructed and securely glued to the headrest so you don't break a corner joint like I did the first time. Then cut out the hole undersize, glue down the edges, then final trim the upholstery flush. Stuff the open areas in the top corners with ripped up little pieces of foam pushed in on the end of a small phillips.

Now reinstall your shroud, cut, fish, and splice your wires, drill your mounting pilot holes, and install it with the two center screwholes and some panhead wood screws. Plug in the screens, and they snap in place.

Fabricator

niice!

Comment

yeah i agree that looks pretty damn good

Comment

damn I want those for my car! great info!
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

and shots of the other sides of the head rests? interested in seeing how they look from the front!

=]
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

another option would be to pull the cover over the shroud so when you put the screen in thats all you see is the screen.
            99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

nice, nice , very nice!
              Richard Ng

Sonic In-Car PC

Comment

Originally posted by albysure
                another option would be to pull the cover over the shroud so when you put the screen in thats all you see is the screen.
                The gap between the shroud and the screen is very tight. You might get one thin layer of vinyl in there, but my upholstery has a foam backing and was way too thick.
                Fabricator

Comment

Why does it look like the wires are going down through the tube on one but not the other? I'm just curious... none of the cars that I've done headrest monitors on have had hollow headrest tubes. Were yours hollow or not?
                  Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

what are you seeing? because when I look back through teh pictures i see that it looks like they go through both suports...

and yeah - I haven't seen that many cars out there with hollow support legs.

good point!
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Well this is the only car I've installed headrest monitors on and it had hollow posts. I guess Nissan is a little more weight/performance-oriented than other manufacturers.
                      Fabricator

Comment

WOW, that is a great install, hoping to do the exact same in my PT cruiser, so you are using 6.5 inch TViews w/ 4:3 aspect? Also how did you run the wires down through the seat to get to your main source and what not. Also would you be willing to install mine if i sent them to you? and how much would you charge? thank you
                        www.cardomain.com/id/ptcruizn

Comment

Altimat thnx for the best write up on how to install over sized monitors I have ever seen... just had a pair of (Clarion VMA7194) 7" monitor installed in a 2k5 Maxima headrest

Without your detailed info, don't think I would have been as clear to my installer what
                          or how I wanted it to look (shout out to Danny u da Man)

Comment

Thats what I like to hear!!! Thanks!
                            Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by coachreed
                              Why does it look like the wires are going down through the tube on one but not the other? I'm just curious... none of the cars that I've done headrest monitors on have had hollow headrest tubes. Were yours hollow or not?
                              I think what you are seeing is the plug end of the cable. I looked at the picture and it looks like the cable is looped and the end is under the car seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X